Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Debate was recently started here as to whether or not categories should be deleted completely and folks just submit their posts.

Debate was recently started here as to whether or not categories should be deleted completely and folks just submit their posts.

Food for thought:

In some ways, there are far too many categories. 
In some ways, there are far too few categories.
There are no subcategories.
Many categories overlap or seem redundantly repetitive in their duplication and dual use, again.
The category you’d like to select doesn’t exist. 
The nearest category to the missing one that you’d prefer isn’t fully adequate for placing your post, but what choice do you have?
You select a category and place your post in it, only to find out later that if the mods disagree with your choice, they move your post the a different category of their own choosing.
Some of the categories seem weird or odd or strange to you.
You‘ve suggested new or different or “better” categories, only to be passed over. (Ok, that was me, but I’m not bitter. Grrrrrrrr.)

How do you weigh in on the issue, if at all?  Please add to, challenge, take from, redirect or ignore as you see fit. 

~

Posted - December 19, 2019

Responses

I feel like I just entered a board meeting.  That's good, though!  I just wasn't prepared to give a thought-out answer.
    O.k. here we go.
    I think it is good to have categories.  If you were doing a study, writing a paper, or just taking mental notes, it would be very interesting to see what category our group of little indians picks the most.
    I like the categories because sometimes when you want to ask a question and can't think of anything to ask, you can glance at categories and be inspired.
    Look!  There is a food category!  I could ask a silly or meaningful food question. ;)
    I do think it is weird if a mod moves your question.  It really shouldn't matter where the question lives.  The question itself should hold its own merit.
    I don't use the categories to pick questions to answer.  I hit the question button and look at the list revealed.  It might be the wrong way to do it but it was the way I learned and stuck with it.
    I don't think abolishing the categories is a good idea.  If I really needed some information about travel or really wanted to learn about domestic parrots, I could easily go to those categories and find info.
    I would take a look at why it is so imperative that we put our questions in a category we feel correct for our question and a mod can change its location.
    That is the only bizarre issue I feel we have about the categories.
    I like them. :) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at December 20, 2019 5:32 PM MST
      December 19, 2019 11:05 PM MST

I look at the Questions only - never have I chosen a question based on category.  I don't see the need for any category.  Just ask the question and that's that.  It would be onerous to have to look through all the different categories to find new questions.  If someone doesn't like the political category, let's say, all they have to do is scroll past the question.  Much simpler than going to each category to find something you want to answer. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at December 20, 2019 5:32 PM MST
      December 20, 2019 10:41 AM MST

• I think questions supersede the need for categories since the content will largely tell you what the topic is. Maybe a tag or label for certain themes would be helpful in order to avoid upsetting or offending someone. 
      December 20, 2019 5:15 PM MST

I've discovered that no matter what you write. someone will find it offensive, so just write what you want and if others misunderstand, they can rebut and you can explain.
      December 21, 2019 9:11 AM MST

No use for categories.  I simply would like to be able to search using keywords that would scan all questions, answers, and comments.

I would like for the members list to be alphabetical and would like to be able to search it............Not fill out a form with irrelevant and unknown information to search.  

I would like my private area to provide a complete and total history of everything I have posted on the site.  And I mean in the format that Answerbag had.  It was like a two-column searchable document with every question, along with my answer, listed chronologically by date . Not a rolling scrolling thing.  Document with multiple pages like a word processing type document.  Trying to see your history here is a miserable and absurd process of two postings loading at a time.   Pull your friggin hair out! This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 21, 2019 2:39 PM MST
      December 20, 2019 10:44 PM MST

I know, huh? Grrrrrrrr. 

~
      December 20, 2019 11:01 PM MST