Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Brand name medicine, or generic

Brand name medicine, or generic

Hello:

I've got a friend who DEMANDS that his doctor prescribe brand named medicine because he's convinced it's different than the generic equivalent.. 

Is he NUTS??

excon

Posted - December 31, 2019

Responses

• Generics are the way to go.  No contest.
      December 31, 2019 3:36 AM MST

Brand names ARE different than the generic.  My pharmacists told me the generic has to be 80% of the brand:  80% is NOT 100% there IS a difference. 
      December 31, 2019 3:52 AM MST

Hello MP:

My friend says that too..  But, I wonder WHY my doctor would prescribe a medicine that he KNOWS isn't the best for me?  Frankly, I don't think he would..

excon

December 31, 2019 3:55 AM MST

• True, but that's a negligible difference and genetics have to be proven to have the same effectiveness .   Blood concentrations can vary but the variation is in a negligible ballpark.   Big pharma propaganda.
      December 31, 2019 4:28 AM MST

I know of at least 1 med whose generic version is much different from the brand name ... so much so that it can have a fatal side effect.  Every doctor I've been to, as well as every pharmacist I've visited have repeatedly told me this.  
      December 31, 2019 9:49 AM MST

I don't know or care how good it is, if it is generic, I don't want it.  

Never as good. Never the same.  Especially DRUGS.

But.... now that I remember?  I got an ear remedy (generic) that was a fraction of the $380 BRAND NAME.  So I am full of it.  

I don't like generic groceries.  UGH This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 31, 2019 10:14 AM MST
      December 31, 2019 9:54 AM MST

Generics are required to have the same active ingredient (or 80% of it), but it may also have other ingredients that are different from the original.  Those different ingredients may have side effects the original would not have.  
      December 31, 2019 11:46 AM MST

He isn't nuts.  Generics can be quite different from their Brands.  The inert ingredients are rarely the same and can affect how your body absorbs the medicine and how quickly that happens.  People can be allergic or sensitive to the inert ingredients.  My doctor refused to allow generics on certain drugs.  He kept up with complaints about generics not performing the same as brands.  
      December 31, 2019 3:47 PM MST

Is the active ingredient the same composition and weight? If so, generic is the way to go.
      December 31, 2019 10:55 PM MST