Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Gunslingers would put a notch on the gun for each kill. The more notches the better. How many notches does don of johns have on his "GUN"?

Gunslingers would put a notch on the gun for each kill. The more notches the better. How many notches does don of johns have on his "GUN"?

Posted - January 1, 2020

Responses

The stereotype is wrong.  It was a movie/TV trope.

Amateur gunslingers ... aka pistoleros ... might put notches on their gun.  But doing so made you a larger target for people looking to take you down.  The "professionals" tried to stay as low-profile as possible, because they didn't want every amateur looking to "make their reputation" seeking them out.  Few of the famous gunslingers actually set out to be such.

Of course, there's the Marine chant: "This is my rifle, this is my gun.  This is for shooting, this is for fun."
    So if someone puts notches in his gun ... I'm not sure if that's a good thing, or not.  LOL
      January 1, 2020 11:00 AM MST

The only thing I know about the wild west is what I've seen in the movies Walt. I guess being the quickest draw pretty much meant you were lethal and no one wanted to cross you. But of course it's true for those who yearn to be somebody (don of johns is a good example). They are driven to challenge others to PROVE they are better. Mebbe they are. I dunno. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 2, 2020 1:32 AM MST