Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » White light contains all wavelengths of visible color. Black is the absence of visible light. In Physics. What's the point?

White light contains all wavelengths of visible color. Black is the absence of visible light. In Physics. What's the point?

Break white light down into its components and GUESS WHAT YOU GET? Exactly.

So you whites are really the presence of all colors which seems to shock you because I betcha you thought you were all white right? Well you aren't. You are an admixture of all colors. Get over it. Suck it up. Put on your big boy pants and stop whining about it. Ain't nuthin' you can do about it.

Posted - January 3, 2020

Responses

There is no such thing as a racially "pure" person.  After 5,000+ years, the ethnic pool is completely diluted.  Those who think that their "race" (color) is superior to another are not very smart.   Whats more, had a certain race been wiped out (as many want), much of what we have today (technology, medicine, and such) wouldn't exist.  They were discovered/created by "non-whites".

Black absorbs all waves of visible light (non reflective).  Technically, black isn't even a color.  
      January 3, 2020 10:07 AM MST

Neither is white. The point is lost on those white racist supremacist hoity toity dumbbells. They do not have a clue about anything that matters. Sheesh. Thank you for your reply Shuhak1 :)
      January 3, 2020 11:41 AM MST

Here's what you get.

January 3, 2020 11:10 AM MST

Years ago on AB I asked "WHAT IF GOD WERE GAY". The best answer I received was "that would explain rainbows"! The best question I ever asked methinks because I got tons of replies and NOT ONE OF THEM was insulting or mean! Thank you for your reply and beautiful photo. I'm a rainbow fan I yam! :) Thanks E. You just lit up my day! :)
      January 3, 2020 11:40 AM MST

I saw a triple rainbow decades ago while fishing.
      January 3, 2020 11:41 AM MST

YOU DID? WOW! I've seen a double rainbow only twice that I can remember and I was awestruck! TRIPLE? Wow! Where E? Great Lakes somewhere or closer to home? Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 4, 2020 8:45 AM MST
      January 4, 2020 2:23 AM MST

I was on the bank of the Maumee River here in Toledo. There was a rain shower across the river and sunlight behind me at a perfect angle. Right here.

January 4, 2020 8:30 AM MST

Wow! That's beautiful as-is E. Having a TRIPLE RAINBOW would be too much for me! I'd probably tear up if not weep. Funny how very beautiful affects folks differently. I'm gonna ask. Thank you for the share. I can imagine it there though seeing it in person rather than imagination would be way better! :)
      January 4, 2020 8:41 AM MST

I is a beautiful river. I used to hunt for fossils in the park until they rebuilt the wall leading to the bank.
      January 4, 2020 8:47 AM MST

How close to home is the river? Do you need a fishing license each year and is fishing seasonal? Our son and daughter-in-law live about 10 minutes away from a forest, river and camp grounds and they LOVE to go camping! So close to home but it's a different world! Thank you for the info and the beautimous photos. A picture IS worth a thousands words for sure. Most if not all descriptions aren't nearly as helpful as a photo would be try though we might to paint word pictures. :):):)
      January 4, 2020 8:57 AM MST

It used to be a ten minute walk from my first home. I have since moved and now it is a ten minute drive. I have to get a new license each year but it is a small $10 fee and is put to good use.
      January 4, 2020 9:10 AM MST

I guess you know you live in paradise right? Well good on ya! I'm glad you are able to live that kind of life E. Idyllic? Perhaps not perfect but it sure sounds good to me! Many more happy years there and may the fishing never dry up! :)
      January 4, 2020 9:17 AM MST

I could fish last year because of two surgeries.
      January 4, 2020 9:20 AM MST

I remember but you're all healed and fine and good to go, right? This year you will make it up for it! Oh dear. For some reason I'm hungry for fish. All I got is tuna in a pouch in the cupboard. That won't cut it. The most delicious fish I ever had was a co-worker who'd go out fishing from San Diego almost every weekend. He had a smoker and sometimes he'd come in with POUNDS of smoked whitefish. Never tasted of liquid smoke. It was always some kind of nifty wood. It was beyond fabulous. I don't remember what kind if fish it was but it was thick and not at all fishy. Once I enjoyed some sea bass in a restaurant that was so good my date and I ordered another dinner to share. I am not joking. The chef came out of the kitchen to thank us for the compliment. Once upon a time abalone was my favorite sea food. But it's been many decades since I tasted any. SIGH. Those were the days! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 5, 2020 1:50 AM MST
      January 4, 2020 9:31 AM MST

I love smoked whitefish and salmon.
      January 4, 2020 11:30 AM MST

Do YOU have a smoker by any chance E? Thank you for your reply! :)
      January 5, 2020 1:51 AM MST

No, I don't. But I can smoke food on my outdoor grill. I don't use it much anymore since it only me and my wife living here. I only use it for get togethers with my kids and grandkids, but those are very rare.
      January 5, 2020 8:44 AM MST

Colours depend on context.

Colour in the spectrum of light is not the same as colour in material substances.
    For instance, ultramarine stone or pigment does not emit beautiful blue light. Rather, it absorbs all wavelengths of light except blue, which it reflects.

What we call 'white' in white people never is. The whitest are pale pinkish-beige, often with loads of freckles and blemishes.
    What we call 'black' in black people never is. The darkest are deep chocolate, aubergine or charcoal, always with brilliant highlights.
    The reds, yellows etc come in every imaginable shade.
    All the colours can exhibit exquisite beauty.
    All the colours can show ugliness.
    No colour is better or less than another in any way - except in the most trivial sense where there is too much or too little sunlight - skin cancers versus lack of vit D for strong bones.

I happen to be white, of Anglo-Norman descent, and I'm not proud of it.
    My ancestors did horrendous things. If they happened to win power, wealth and privileges via their crimes, that didn't make them better people.
    If anything it made them worse - and the historical consequences still throw their terrible shadows over me.
    I feel ashamed of it - and there's not a dammed thing I can do about it.
    The best I can do is stay out of the way while Aborigines and others create their own healing and self-determination - fighting their way towards equality.
    In my lifetime, I've seen them make brilliant progress.
    That at least - amid all the horrors of global conflicts and warming - is one very good thing. This post was edited by inky at January 4, 2020 8:31 AM MST
      January 3, 2020 5:17 PM MST

Thank you for a very thoughtful and informative reply bw. Of course I was trying to make a point which is that things are not always what they seem to be. You can't judge a book by its cover. If you like the taste of the dish the ingredients list may be surprising but should not affect your delight in enjoying it. Happy Saturday.
      January 4, 2020 2:26 AM MST

True.
    One can't know the mettle of a person unless one lives alongside them.
    So what we really need is far more social mixing. 
      January 4, 2020 6:54 AM MST

Agreed! Like that's ever gonna happen with those who are only interested in the superficial outward appearance which we know is the least important part of any human being. The have no desire nor curiosity to pursue anything deeper than what they see so they snap judge their way in life. Thank you for your reply bw.
      January 4, 2020 7:09 AM MST