Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Business » Why did the media completely ignore the stories about the white guy who held up an Amtrak train, or the story about the white guy

Why did the media completely ignore the stories about the white guy who held up an Amtrak train, or the story about the white guy

in Texas who shot two hispanic police officers?  

Are we just going to ignore terrorism because the terrorists happen to be white? 

Posted - September 18, 2016

Responses

• What media report depends on a standard hierarchy of what is considered newsworthy. How it is reported, the slant, interpretation or spin, depends on the bias of the owner and editor.

If something happens closer to home, affects a larger number of people, or involves someone famous, then that event would get more attention in the media than a robbery or the shooting of two police officers.

If, however, a new white supremacist group, say "The White Rocks," claimed responsibility and that the theft and murders were part of a campaign to draw attention to Latinos occupying jobs and reducing employment for whites - then that would be instant news all over the country and probably overseas as well.

The colour of a person is no predictor of whether or not they are likely to commit a crime, be a racist, or join a terrorist organisation.

September 18, 2016 9:35 PM MDT

• C'mon man...

The way it works is like this:

If they are Black, Brown, Muslim, or illegal alien, they are terrorists.

If they are White, Christian, they are mentally unstable  

September 18, 2016 9:44 PM MDT

I'm ignoring the guy who got shot in Roanoke and the guy who got shot in Sheboygan and that one that got shot in Phoenix too.

I have no idea if it is true?  But I'll bet there were tons of shootings in each area we have not heard about.

So, etiquette requires I thank you for this information, but honesty requires that I come clean.  (WHO CARESSSS?)

September 18, 2016 10:22 PM MDT

Butch and Sundance robbed another train....Damn !

September 19, 2016 5:05 PM MDT

• Who cares?

Many people care a lot about what happens to others - even people they have never met or heard of. Some people care so much that reading the news is too depressing for them and they avoid it.

Everyone has different responses to items of news - but, in general, they are published because market research reports how many people care about what types of stories - and advertisers depend on the number of interested readers to get the best exposure for their money. So based on this, one could reasonably expect that a great many people do care.

Every culture has laws defining crime because the most people care that the majority, preferably all, can live safely, peacefully, without fear most of the time. When all can feel safe, then each person can feel "I and the ones I love are safe." We pay taxes so there are police and a justice system to help keep us safe - (even though the system sometimes fails.)

I may not react overly much to occasional murders on the other side of the planet - but it does worry me if there are increases in rates of crimes in general and in particular it bothers me more if those crimes have a racist and/or terrorist motivation. I live in an incredibly peaceful and safe part of the world, even by Australian standards, and the choice is deliberate. Australia ranks as 6th or 7th safest country in the world because we have strong restrictions on guns, have a much smaller and less dense population, and we have far fewer and smaller ghettos of poverty (which function as creators of conditions that trigger a high proportion of crime.)

In England, in Islington in London, racial attacks and murders on housing estates are common. If you lived in the area, you could quite randomly end up as the victim. Then the feeling of such news reports would strike into the heart with blinding clarity.

If love is unconditional, then it embraces caring for all life everywhere.

September 20, 2016 1:42 AM MDT

Most don't want to believe that all the violence involved in the world is part of a much bigger and sinister picture. (revelation 12:7-9)

September 21, 2016 3:34 PM MDT

not sure why

September 25, 2016 7:46 PM MDT