Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Any of you own a Porta potty? We've had MAJOR plumbing problems for weeks. Both bathrooms will be out of commish for 2 days! Advice please?

Any of you own a Porta potty? We've had MAJOR plumbing problems for weeks. Both bathrooms will be out of commish for 2 days! Advice please?

Monday and Tuesday they will be out of commission sealed off to do abatement work. Now we'll have use of the kitchen sink, dishwasher and washing machine. But the bathrooms will be closed off.

We checked Walmart yesterday and they had ONE which was $74.95! Jim said there are some  not nearly as expensive so Sunday he'll go out and about trying to find one. Any suggestions as to which ones are ok and what ones we should stay away from?

All input is gratefully accepted! SIGH. This too shall pass. We shall overcome. Kumbayah!

Posted - January 11, 2020

Responses

For an in store purchase that is about what they run for one that has a tank and flushes. 

Any lower price will basically be a 5 gallon bucket with a seat. 

You can get a little better price online. I know you do not like online shopping. But could save some money if you have a couple days to wait for shipping.

There are deordorizes you can buy but for just 2 day you may not need it. 
      January 11, 2020 7:35 AM MST

I just giggled m2c! "...a 5 gallon bucket with a seat." Funnee hunnee. I don't shop online though I do know you can get cheaper doing it. I'm a hands on shopper honey. Touchy feeliy all the way. I use coupons to save money at the market but I'm willing to pay more at the store because I don't trust the pictures you see that the merchandise will really look like that! Thank you for your helpful reply! :)
      January 11, 2020 8:09 AM MST

Luggable Loo....$20 Bass Pro Shops. 
      January 11, 2020 8:34 AM MST

Hahahahahahahahahaha! You're killing me m2c! SERIOUSLY? OMG! Okey dokey honey. I believe thee. Well I'll touch base with you on Monday to letcha know what Jim got. This is way too funny though. Thank you for the photo. Yep. Worth a thousand words fer shure! :)
      January 11, 2020 8:46 AM MST

...cut back on the fibre and no curries...
      January 11, 2020 7:49 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Disguised. Will take it under advisement. Happy Saturday! :)
      January 11, 2020 8:10 AM MST

I know this is a long shot, but do you know anyone with an RV?

If you do, perhaps they can park it in front of your home for a few days. You could offer to reimburse them for gas and the cost of cleaning/flushing the waste tanks when you're finished. That would probably be cheaper than buying a porta-potty that you're unlikely to use again.

Another idea is to check out sporting goods and camping supply stores. I'm sure people who go hunting, hiking, etc. far from indoor toilets have devised all sorts of solutions to capture and store waste.

Good luck. I hope you manage to get through the situation with minimal discomfort.
      January 11, 2020 8:05 AM MST

That's a great idea SP! Our across-the-street neighbor friends HAD one but they sold it last year! Well Jim is gonna do the legwork. After the back bathroom flooded (we have two) a few weeks ago and the carpet got soaking wet in the bedroom and it seeped in to the front bathroom things got wet again and the environmental people took patches from the walls and floor and some asbestos was found therein. Add to that all our plumbing went south due to tree roots that were jamming up the pipes. Getting back to the floors and wall some will be cut away. The toilets removed and the vanities too. They don't want mold to grow so after they do all the treatment (the will seal both bathrooms off with tape) for the asbestos they'll tackle the moisture. But toilet wise they said they think they can have them back in by Tuesday night with luck. They're showing up Monday morning at 8am so we want to be prepared by Sunday. Thank you for an extremely thoughtful and helpfully informative reply. I'll have Jim read it. At 82 (me) and 84(him) we've been through lots of stuff so this is just something to add to the list! Happy Saturday to thee SP! :)
      January 11, 2020 8:19 AM MST

Its only 2 days just get a bucket with a lid and dispose of the waste when you get your bathroom back. Cheers and Happy Weekend!
      January 11, 2020 1:51 PM MST