Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If you oppose President Trump's reelection, what kind of candidate should you vote for in your state's Democratic primary?

If you oppose President Trump's reelection, what kind of candidate should you vote for in your state's Democratic primary?

This question was inspired by this article about "Bloomberg-curious" voters in California.

If you are a voter in a reliably "blue" state, should you vote for the Democratic candidate you think best represents your political preferences? Or should you pick the candidate you think a might-vote-either-way swing state voter will prefer? Just how much should you compromise your political policy wishes for perceived electability?

Posted - January 18, 2020

Responses

In the primary,  I always vote for the candidate I like best. Of course, I do that in the general as well. 

I am not a Dem either. But it applies to Rep as well. I never vote on "electability" that gets you stuck with candidates like McCain/Romney.
      January 18, 2020 7:05 AM MST

OK, thank you for your perspective from the GOP side of the aisle.
      January 18, 2020 7:21 AM MST

Have you looked at that field..................nothing growing there worth eating.
      January 18, 2020 9:19 PM MST

Luckily, I don't have to choose. My candidate of choice ticks both boxes.
      January 20, 2020 3:19 AM MST