Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Tulsi is suing Hillary for $50M. Think she can win any of it?

Tulsi is suing Hillary for $50M. Think she can win any of it?

Hillary claimed Tulsi is "Russian asset."

The boy who sued media over their coverage of him recieved an undisclosed cash settlement. (Catholic teen with Trump hat and the older Native American)

So will Tulsi get in on some  Clinton Cash?

Posted - January 23, 2020

Responses

I am not a lawyer, but I've been around long enough to see many suits like this filed. In fact, not too long ago Congressman Devin Nunes sued an imaginary cow.

https://www.themarysue.com/devin-nunes-hates-cows/

The chances Gabbard can win if they go to trial are very low.

As I understand it, to win a suit like this, Gabbard would have to prove not only that she was harmed in some definite material way, but that HRC made her comments to knowingly and deliberately harm Gabbard.

In the case of public figures, the courts give a great deal of leeway to allowing the public to criticize and lampoon those figures in any fashion they choose.

HRC might pay off Gabbard to avoid a trial, but if HRC holds her ground, Gabbard has no chance.

I suspect Gabbard filed the lawsuit mostly for the publicity value it provides. With her presidential campaign defunct and given that she is not running for another term in Congress, she is probably angling for a job in media punditry and needs to keep her public profile up.
      January 23, 2020 6:51 AM MST

I agree likely for publicity. But tbere is recent case that did get paid. 

Nice twist there...lol Nunes was/is suing Twitter and Twitter users. 
      January 23, 2020 7:04 AM MST

Re: "But tbere is recent case that did get paid"

If you know of such a case, could you please provide a link or at least name the principals? I am curious to see what factors led to an actual victory for a plaintiff in such a case.

Edit: Never mind if the case you have in mind is one you mentioned in your original post. I overlooked it upon first reading.

Re: Nunes

Yes, he is suing a fake cow,  and I believe that for exactly the same reasons Gabbard has no chance, Nunes has no chance. I think both of them are doing it for the publicity value. This post was edited by SaltyPebble at January 23, 2020 8:01 AM MST
      January 23, 2020 7:21 AM MST

Nick Sanders recieved a legal settlement of a multimillion dollar case against CNN agreeing on an undisclosed amount. (I said got paid which he did) 

Nunes is suing the owner of Twitter account of the fake cow.  
      January 23, 2020 7:26 AM MST

You are incorrect. A federal judge dismissed the lawsuit by Sandman.  He received nothing.

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2019/07/26/federal-judge-dismisses-nick-sandmanns-lawsuit-washington-post/ This post was edited by Jon at January 23, 2020 8:01 AM MST
      January 23, 2020 8:00 AM MST

No. You may want to research a little more. CNN paid up. This month and the other cases are NOT dismissed. The WP case was reopened in Oct 2019. 

https://www.thewrap.com/cnn-settles-defamation-lawsuit-with-covington-student-nicholas-sandmann/
    This post was edited by my2cents at January 23, 2020 8:45 AM MST
      January 23, 2020 8:43 AM MST

Fake news. They owe him nothing. Freaking cons are always looking for a hand out.
      January 23, 2020 8:50 AM MST

What is Fake News? CNN paid that is FACT. 
      January 23, 2020 8:53 AM MST

Show me something froma legit source.
      January 23, 2020 8:55 AM MST

Google is your friend. 
      January 23, 2020 9:33 AM MST

a creep suing a bigger creep.

nothing to see here.  
      January 23, 2020 8:54 AM MST

Gabbard’s foundering campaign is so short on donations, it seems any means of generating cash (and publicity) is in play. 
      January 23, 2020 9:10 AM MST

• Not likely to win considering that Gabbard was not specifically named and it'll be difficult to prove the intent here. But it at least brings attention to how scummy and awful Hillary is. 
      January 23, 2020 10:51 AM MST