Active Now

Maurice214
Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Why do mayonnaise makers always put 'Real Mayonnaise' on the label? Does fake mayo exist?

Why do mayonnaise makers always put 'Real Mayonnaise' on the label? Does fake mayo exist?

Posted - February 8, 2020

Responses

FDA regulations define what can legally call itself mayonnaise in America.
    These regulations decree mayonnaise to be an emulsified semisolid food that must contain three things: vegetable oil, an acidifying ingredient (vinegar, lemon and/or lime juice), and egg yolks (or, technically, an egg-yolk-containing ingredient).
    The regulations also specify a suite of optional ingredients that can be included in without mayonnaise sacrificing its legitimacy -- salt, MSG, crystallization inhibitors such as oxystearin, etc. -- but the egg yolks are the sticking point here.

All this arises because there are cheaper ways of mass-producing "mayonnaise" which use cheaper ingredients, taste additives, texture agents and preservatives. They taste nothing like the real thing.

My mother, who went to cooking school as a young woman, taught me to make the traditional French recipe. I grew up familiar with its taste, so for me, there is no comparison with the muck that legally calls itself mayonnaise on supermarket shelves and in cafeterias and restaurants.
    No joke. If you gave me a blind taste test, I would know the difference the moment my tongue made contact.

~
    Mayonaise uses egg yolk as an emulsifier to blend oil and vinegar so that they won't separate.

The original classical French Mayonaise follows a strict recipe:

Ingredients
    1 Egg Yolk. (choose best quality eggs to get the best taste possible)

A pinch of salt

A pinch freshly ground white pepper 

A few drops of white wine vinegar

150 mls of light or clarified olive oil

teaspoon Dijon mustard

Method
    In a medium-size bowl, combine the egg yolk, salt, pepper, mustard and white wine vinegar.

Using a whisk, gently blend the ingredients by hand.
    (Do not use an electric blender as it will destroy the texture.)
    Once well mixed, begin to add one drop of olive oil at a time, and mix till it is smoothly absorbed.
    Continue whisking and stirring with the right hand while adding with the left.
    As the mixture becomes paler add a few drops at a time, then a teaspoon, tablespoon etc,
    until all the oil is fully integrated into the mixture.

Add immediately to the salad just before serving,
    or close in a jar in the fridge for later use.

With the French, any variation on this recipe earns a different name. For instance, substitute garlic for the mustard and the sauce is called an Aioli; lemon juice for vinegar and it's an Hollandaise.

This post was edited by inky at February 9, 2020 2:11 PM MST
      February 8, 2020 6:14 PM MST

You are so full of useful information....lol
      February 8, 2020 7:47 PM MST

I totally agree! :):)
      February 9, 2020 12:30 PM MST

:)
      February 9, 2020 4:29 PM MST

WOW!!
    Don is a huge mayonnaise fan.  In fact, it is on my grocery list to buy this week.
    I am going to try your recipe and I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Thank you Very Much!
    :) :) :) :)

February 9, 2020 12:30 PM MST

• It's "real" if it contains egg yolks.  "Fake" mayo contains no egg yolks and sugar ... salad dressing like Miracle Whip.
      February 8, 2020 6:16 PM MST

Thank you for the condensed version of what is Real Mayonnaise.  :)
      February 8, 2020 7:40 PM MST

Miracle Whip is made with eggs. 
    The basic difference is Mayo uses eggs, oil, an acid (vinegar/lemon juice). 
    Miracle uses same ingredients but adds sugar and other spices. It uses less oil. The oil content is what prevents it from being called Mayo. 
      February 9, 2020 5:30 AM MST

• Depending on what you read, I saw that mayo contains egg yolks and Miracle whip contains whole eggs.  Either way, you're right though.
      February 9, 2020 7:00 AM MST

Cuz it is what it sezz on the can......it has no artificial jizz init :) 
      February 8, 2020 7:52 PM MST

• Yes, there is such a thing as fake mayo.  Its commonly known as "light" mayo.  That sh!t shouldn't exist. 
      February 8, 2020 8:29 PM MST

Mayo must contain eggs, a specified amount of oil, and an acid. 

Miracle Whip use of less oil...prevents it from being called Mayo. 
      February 9, 2020 5:32 AM MST

• It's because you have culinary retardation like Miracle Whip.
      February 9, 2020 8:39 AM MST

Me?
      February 9, 2020 8:45 AM MST

Yes .  It's a "lite" version made out of PVC.  It needs no refrigeration, and is resistant to "spoilage" for 25 years - even underground!  (unfortunately the "eco-do-gooders" want it off the market.  (Something about being carcerated-o-genetic?) 
      February 9, 2020 10:11 AM MST