Discussion » Questions » Finance » I think it’s a pipe dream to assume that any significant decrease in the US National Debt at any time by any presidential administration is

I think it’s a pipe dream to assume that any significant decrease in the US National Debt at any time by any presidential administration is

feasible.

Q: Do you hold presidents responsible for what happens with the national debt?

*Mind you, I don’t believe the dollar figure of the national debt is directly tied to nor directly attributed to the person sitting behind the big desk at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.  Both proponents and opponents of sitting presidents use the national debt as just another finger-pointing event to respectively lionize or demonize as they see fit.  Realistically, have you ever heard of a president being patted on the back because great strides have been taken to effectively manage the national debt during his administration? In my opinion, no president can truly stop or even slow down the national debt from rising, because the costs of running a country as large and as advanced and as affluent as the US are too vast for any type of hold-back-the-tide actions by a single entity.

~

Posted - February 10, 2020

Responses

The last administration to run a debt free economy was that of Old Hickory, Andrew Jackson. He was almost impeached for it (censured by the Whigs but the Democrats controlled the House).
    Given that Jackson fought in the Revolutionary War and was an old man by the War of 1812, that was a LONG time ago.
      February 10, 2020 6:31 AM MST

The closest we'll come is a balanced budget, which Bill Clinton achieved.  
      February 10, 2020 7:35 AM MST

:) :) :) :)!
      February 11, 2020 2:27 AM MST

I would say Eisenhower since he did not want to lower the Tax Rate.  He wanted to pay off WW2.  Now the President has the Bully Pulpit, however the Chairman of the Ways and Means has the power along with the Speaker of the House. 

What did Tip O'Neil do to Jimmy Carter?  I rest my case
      February 11, 2020 2:35 PM MST

I have not seen a President in my lifetime that cared about the debt. 

The debt serves as a talking point for the minority party. None really care. 

It goes up regardless of which party is in control...yes it is a pipe dream. 
      February 11, 2020 2:59 PM MST