Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What is the biggest boo boo you made at work?

What is the biggest boo boo you made at work?

When I worked in a  mine my job was a electric train driver/switch man. Part of the job was gathering ore from ore chutes then dumping it in a ore pass. One day I forgot to open the door on the ore pass so the train dumped 15 tons of ore on the ore pass door. My second mistake was trying to open the ore pass door with 15 tones of ore on top of it because it broke the cable and bent the rod on the hydraulic piston. Luckily they didn't fire me. Cheers!

Posted - February 16, 2020

Responses

That's like asking Trump what's the biggest lie you ever told?  

Too many to even fathom picking one.

Last month I forgot to shut off the sink and the hot stone caddy overflowed and I got the rug soaked and the owner had to come in and clean it.

Good enough?  I have lots worse.
      February 16, 2020 12:47 PM MST

No mistakes in the last 20 years or so. But when I was in my 20's, I did a lot of damage. I was mounting up a new set of tires on a farm wagon. I  accidently dropped a valve stem cover into a tire. 10 miles down the road, the tire exploded. It was my bosses' best customer pulling that wagon. 
      February 16, 2020 1:08 PM MST

Working as a switchman in a CN railyard during a midnight shift in near blizzard conditions I missed seeing a switch not properly lined while shoving 30 cars into a track and derailed 3 loaded cars which toppled over and did a lot of damage. Awarded 10 demerits because I should have been paying better attention to the movement. 
      February 16, 2020 3:51 PM MST

What's with you Canadian switchmen?

Question...my wife is interested in kratom for intense pain after a recent surgery. What is the method of ingestion?
      February 17, 2020 3:29 PM MST

Taken oraly. I just add the amount I need to hot water. Because of the bitter taste a lot of people mix it in with jam or honey. Kratom may not be very effective for intense pain,. I started out taking 3 grams then as my tolerance increased I am doing 8 grams twice a day now. You might have to experiment with it a bit to see how it suits you. Pain relief lasts about 4 -6 hours. 

Well I am lucky those derailed cars were not carrying a dangerous commodity anyway. 
      February 17, 2020 4:46 PM MST

Thanks.
      February 17, 2020 6:35 PM MST

• We are only human so mistakes are always inevitable.  I have made so many over the years of working, I cant even remember them all. What I do remember is the lesson learned though!
      February 17, 2020 7:46 PM MST