Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Grits, Cream of Wheat, Oatmeal, or Cap'n Crunch? Which one is your breakfast bowl?

Grits, Cream of Wheat, Oatmeal, or Cap'n Crunch? Which one is your breakfast bowl?

Posted - February 23, 2020

Responses

1. Capt N Crunch w/Crunch Berries....Malt o Meal makes their version with marshmallows ....this is best. 
    2. Cream of wheat
    3. Oatmeal
    4. Grits
      February 23, 2020 1:46 PM MST

None of these.

I make my own muesli.
    It used to be a very complex recipe which I'd make up in batches that would last a couple of weeks - still make it occasionally as a treat. (recipe below)

But now, my quick fix most mornings is ¼ cup rolled oats, 1 tspn hazelnut dukkah, ¼ cup black currants, covered in unpasteurised milk from local cows and a dollop of kefir, either goat's or cows.

The kefir is made with acidophilus, bifidus and caseii bacteria as starters.
    Delicious, and really good for healthy gut function.

Muesli

ingredients

1 kilo rolled or double-rolled oats

200 gmss slightly bitter nuts; pitachios/walnuts or pecans, coarsely crushed (pea size)

200 gms slightly sweet nuts; fresh or roasted cashews/almonds or hazelnuts, coarsely crushed (pea size)

200 gms pumpkin seeds

200 gms pine nuts

200 gms sunflower or sesame seeds

200 gms dried cranberries

200 gms dried blueberries

200 gms dried currants

200 gms dried citrus peel

200 gms dried and chopped apricots/peaches/pineapple or mango

1/2 teaspn salt

(optional extras, fresh juice and zest of one Valencia or Navel orange)

note: Australian dried apricots add a piquant sour flavour,

Turkish sun-dried apricots have a sweeter, denser, more fragrant aroma

method

Heat a large wok till very hot. Dry roast the oats in the wok, tossing and turning continuously. Take care not to allow grains to rest on bottom of wok. Keep going till colour starts to go creamy and slightly golden on some flakes. When the smell becomes aromatic and toasty start to add the other ingredients. 

(Optional. Add the juice and zest. Continue tossing and toasting until thoroughly dry.)

Use an omelette pan to dry roast each of the nuts and seeds, each type separately. First heat the pan. Cover the surface with one thin layer of nuts or seeds, stir and turn with a wooden spatula. Set each type aside to cool while doing the remainder.

Tip all the ingredients together, including the salt, into the wok with the oats. Stir till well mixed.

Fill two 2 litre French clip glass jars with the mix.

Serve with milk, legend, yogurt or fresh fruit juice.

Serving suggestions, a plain pottery bowl of dark brown, deep copper-red or ultramarine blue,

and a spoon that feels comfortable and well balanced.

February 23, 2020 2:00 PM MST

I was thinking grits. It has many uses; wallpaper glue, spackle, deck flooring, autobody bondo, denture repair, anus reconstruction, you name it.
    I hear-tell some people even eat them!
      February 23, 2020 2:42 PM MST

instant oatmeal
    with raisins and 1/2 banana 
      February 23, 2020 2:56 PM MST

• Malt-o-meal above all, then oatmeal.  No grits or cold cereal.
      February 23, 2020 4:14 PM MST

Black coffee. I rarely eat breakfast, and when I do it isn't cereal.
      February 24, 2020 1:02 AM MST