Active Now

Slartibartfast
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Names » If your surname is an extremely uncommon one, do you sometimes wish it were more common? ~

If your surname is an extremely uncommon one, do you sometimes wish it were more common? ~

Posted - March 4, 2020

Responses

I sometimes wish I'd been born in Canada, where people know how to pronounce French surnames. Mine has a silent letter which, if pronounced, makes the rest of it embarrassing.
      March 4, 2020 4:03 AM MST

• You don't know how many times I've been called "you f*cking jew" and had to defend it.  
      March 4, 2020 8:25 AM MST

Hello W:

Here's a short story you might enjoy...  I was in the "old" Navy..  The "old" Navy didn't tolerate blacks or Jews..  My Chief Petty Officer HATED me cause I'm Jewish.  He demoted me..  He gave me extra duty.  He put me on every work party he could.  He TOLD me to go AWOL and he would pay for it.. 

Complaining about it would be fruitless, so I didn't... 
    One night, during the Cuban Missile crisis, I was standing watch just outside of the chiefs quarters, and I saw a swimmer coming toward my ship.  I followed orders, blew my whistle, and shot at him..

Guess who popped out of Chiefs quarters first??  He reached for my weapon..  But, pursuant to our 7 general orders, I was NOT permitted to give up my weapon until properly relieved..  So, I AIMED my loaded M1 rifle right between his Jew hating eyes, and could have LEGALLY pulled the trigger..  At that moment, he KNEW his life was in my hands.  He BEGGED me not to shoot..  I shoulda shot him anyway..

excon This post was edited by excon at March 4, 2020 9:34 AM MST
      March 4, 2020 8:43 AM MST

Mine is not uncommon in sound, but is spelled in an uncommon way.  Not one person...not one has spelled my last name correctly from hearing it spoken. 
      March 4, 2020 11:56 PM MST