Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Would you like this feature for your cell phone and computer...?

Would you like this feature for your cell phone and computer...?

You speak aloud and the text appears to form your questions and replies then you post.

You click on the icon and you can hear the person's voice asking the question or making reply.

Posted - March 10, 2020

Responses

Meh, I’m not sure whether I would want that or not. 
    ~
      March 10, 2020 11:12 PM MDT

It's optional. You would be able to use it or not at your own discretion.

It's a feature I would like for a lot of my texting.  This post was edited by Kittigate at March 11, 2020 5:31 AM MDT
      March 10, 2020 11:15 PM MDT

I wouldn't like it one bit.
    It have great fun and satisfaction when I go to the effort of looking things up and trying to find good or optimum answers. I don't always succeed, but that too is part of what makes it fun, the learning.

I like the dictating function on my Mac laptop which learns the user's accent and translates voice to text; it's great for creating a naturalistic, colloquial style of writing, or for writing dialogue.
    It's also excellent for recording and transcribing interviews.

Siri can answer questions asked aloud. Probably useful in lots of situations where one needs one's hands free. But I've never needed it so far.

Thinking about meshing these two functions together. Mmm. There probably would be people for whom it was useful. Perhaps quadriplegics - it might help them achieve richer communication with others.

This post was edited by inky at March 11, 2020 5:25 AM MDT
      March 11, 2020 4:19 AM MDT

Voice to text is a feature available on most computers. You have to activate it. 

There are programs available that will read the content of a computer screen to you.
      March 11, 2020 4:36 AM MDT

Not interested.  I don't text on my phone, so it isn't a feature I would need.  I can also see it becoming a nuisance when people use the feature in public.  No one wants to hear your conversations.  It's already a pain having to hear people on their cell phones with what should be private conversations.
      March 11, 2020 4:58 AM MDT

I agree. I want to go back into history, find the person who invented speakerphone, and . . . wait, I have to be nice. Grrrrrr. 

March 11, 2020 5:33 AM MDT

I'm right behind you.  That is one of the most irritating inventions, ever.  
      March 11, 2020 8:22 PM MDT

I may like the device, not exactly like it, but something close to it.
    I think a have the feature on my touch screen phone that have close to something like it.
      May 6, 2020 8:48 AM MDT