Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » If there was another conventional war between highly developed countries with many skyscrapers in their cities.

If there was another conventional war between highly developed countries with many skyscrapers in their cities.

How would the thousand feel high buildings fare if hit by a bomb or missile....Can these ultra tall building still stand after just one hit....
I can't imagine why anyone would want to live in such ugly Ant'isocial buildings...they are all just blots on the landscape...
How do they demolish such structures when they are built so close to each other to. . 

Posted - March 16, 2020

Responses

It depends on the size of the missile and where it hits.
      March 16, 2020 7:02 AM MDT

Wouldn't just one 500lb old second world bomb direct hit at the base devastate ont tell building..
    I was just looking at one being built in China....so high and such an ugly building...it weighs eight hundred and fifty thousand tons empty.....can you imagine the carnage of it fell to one side and not straight down on its own base..
      March 16, 2020 7:56 AM MDT

Why would we use an old WWII bomb? We have laser guided smart bombs. Also it would be difficult to hit the base unless it was not near any other buildings due to its curved trajectory.
      March 16, 2020 12:07 PM MDT

I was just trying to compare the damage done to building by one big bomb dropped on London during WW2 ....what would the same bomb that entered the base of the Shard, the tallest building in London...Would it bring the building done or worse topple it over.....
    Cities with such monsters look feature less .....who would want to live and work in ,I just can't say ir understand...
      March 16, 2020 2:08 PM MDT

Use a space-based "railgun" to fire a tungsten rod through the center of the building.
    The energy would be equivalent of a nuclear warhead going off.

Why is that a scenario, and not just science fiction?
    The Chinese and US are both working on railgun technology.
    The Chinese (and India?) are working on establishing bases on the moon.
    China is not a signatory of any arms-limitation treaty.

To answer your question ... look at the damage done to the Oklahoma City FBI building.
    That bomb consisted of 13 x 500lb barrels, filled with explosives.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing#Building_the_bomb

March 16, 2020 11:30 AM MDT

I see the photo....the damage destroyed the building..   Are missile more powerful than old tech bombs ? Would one cruise missile bring down a 1000 feet tall Modern structure....the one I watched being built in China said it weighed 850,000 tons...
      March 16, 2020 2:39 PM MDT

To determine such energy, one must have velocities and masses.
      March 16, 2020 7:39 PM MDT

https://www.businessinsider.com/air-force-rods-from-god-kinetic-weapon-hit-with-nuclear-weapon-force-2017-9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

O
    f course, it might be less expensive (currently) to just "nudge" an asteroid to hit the target. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at March 17, 2020 7:09 AM MDT
      March 17, 2020 7:00 AM MDT

You might enjoy watching some of the videos of tall buildings being demolished by implosion.   Pretty amazing.  I don't even go in high buildings and never use an up elevator for less than four stories or a down elevator for less than six.  I don't go up four stories unless I just have no choice.  I like a two story home and, otherwise, prefer to be on the ground.
      March 16, 2020 8:58 PM MDT