Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » DISCLAIMER: this post is not about the current president of the US, neither for him nor against him, please read it at face value.

DISCLAIMER: this post is not about the current president of the US, neither for him nor against him, please read it at face value.

Covid19. Why would ANYONE want to be the leader of any country right now? 

The heavy burden of responsibility necessary to address the Corona Virus and its widespread ramifications seem overwhelming, in my opinion. No matter who one is, this crisis stands in the face of the best minds and the best intentions to contain it. Leading, guiding, reassuring, protecting, and informing one’s people are only some of the tasks a head of state must perform. As such, not all of the right answers come easily for any person, which is why learned advisors are needed also. The full and final responsibilities still fall in the hands of that one person, the head of state. Regardless of how intelligent, charismatic, compassionate, kindhearted, forward-thinking, respectful, and/or benevolent a head of state is, this crisis makes the job more difficult than any mortal can deliver. 

To reiterate, why would ANYONE want to be the leader of any country right now?
~

Posted - March 22, 2020

Responses

I'm not sure that if this virus existed at the time Democratic candidates were throwing their hats in the ring, there would have been as many looking for the job.  Having said that, I believe that more than a few of them would claim to be the person most able to calm fears and navigate the turbulent waters in which we find ourselves today.  This type of crisis needs a steady hand at the helm - not one who vacillates from day to day as to whether we should take it seriously or not.  It is a monumental task, one that not everyone would be capable of handling, but the wise leader takes into account advice given by experts in the field and proceeds on the best information available at the time and they do it with all due speed.  
      March 22, 2020 12:17 PM MDT