Active Now

Element 99
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » In retrospect, is there anything that you and other people used to think or believe that you now realize was a common misconception? ~

In retrospect, is there anything that you and other people used to think or believe that you now realize was a common misconception? ~

This could have happened at any point in your lifetime, and I will give some examples of my own:

As a small child, about two years old, believed that I could only wash my hands with cold water because warm or hot water would burn me, I believed that the slide in the playground was much too high for me to climb. When I was a teenager, I believed that my friends and I knew everything we needed to know about life and that adults didn’t know anything.  For more than ten years before they disbanded and abandoned their loyal fans, I thought that one day the San Diego Chargers NFL team would have a winning season and actually win a Super Bowl or at least play in a second Super Bowl. These sets of beliefs were common in that I shared them with others who were just as uninformed as I was at the time, and it wasn’t until learning more later that I saw how wrong I had been.

~

Posted - April 13, 2020

Responses

Sure.  As a young child I thought our body, underneath the skin, was pound cake.   In case you have not had an occasion to learn the truth, this is not a truth.  

I don't know where it came from but that is what I thought.  

I know.  Yes, I'm fine.
      April 15, 2020 12:58 AM MDT

Wait, it’s not really pound cake?

~
      April 15, 2020 1:01 AM MDT

It's not.  Life is hard for people like us.
      April 15, 2020 5:35 AM MDT

You realize of course that if you’re the only person who thought it, then it’s not specifically a common misconception
      April 15, 2020 7:04 AM MDT

I love that, ha!!
    :)
      April 15, 2020 11:32 AM MDT

For the first time ever it just occurred to me that perhaps that came from hearing adults talk about weight....gaining XX pounds.  I don't know................
      April 16, 2020 4:09 AM MDT

Between my siblings and me when we were very young - - thinking if we hadn't played in the ditch that day, then there was no need for us taking a bath.
    :)
      April 15, 2020 11:36 AM MDT