Discussion » Questions » Politics » Who checks the fact checkers?

Who checks the fact checkers?

Bernie said the real unemployment rate of black youth is 51%. Politifact said that was mostly true. I agree because estimates put it between 50 and 60%

Trump said real unemployment of black youth is 59%. Politificat said that was false, and that is only 18.7%.

Why was it true when Bernie said it but false when Trump said it?  There is talk about fact checking the debate in live time but how can any fact checker be trusted?

Posted - September 26, 2016

Responses

They all spin spin spin.
      September 26, 2016 11:57 AM MDT

Post your sources so we can compare.
      September 26, 2016 12:36 PM MDT

It all depends on the demographic used. 18-25 ?....18-21 ?...16-19 ?   The premise is a little vague.

September 26, 2016 1:16 PM MDT

Yes it is vague and the numbers are estimates and it depends heavily on age range and year and that is exactly why both claims should be either be found mostly true or mostly false by the same fact checkers. Both politicians were making the same point about black youth unemployment being very high but when Bernie said it was truth and when trump said it was lies. So what will fact checking the debate look like and will it be the same double standard and if so then we should not have it.

September 26, 2016 1:23 PM MDT

Exactly
      September 26, 2016 3:11 PM MDT

No one rich enough
      September 26, 2016 3:13 PM MDT

•   September 26, 2016 3:36 PM MDT

The demographics should be the same for the same statement when fact checking.
      September 26, 2016 4:39 PM MDT

If people can't be bothered to read the evidence and reasoning of the fact checkers, that's not the fact checkers' fault.

September 26, 2016 4:47 PM MDT

•   September 26, 2016 4:50 PM MDT

It's not a double standard; from these two articles that Mr. Witch referenced (which you didn't bother to post, so I assume you didn't bother to read) 

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/statements/2016/jun/20/donald-tr...

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/jul/13/bern...

It's explained how Sanders and Trump were in fact talking about two different demographics, and why each rating was given.

September 26, 2016 4:51 PM MDT

• Perhaps it's caused by people reading only headlines.

September 26, 2016 5:14 PM MDT

I have noticed that a strong indicator of Usual Suspect-dom is never actually reading linked material, no matter who provides it. I can't count the number of times a Usual has posted a link he thinks supports his position (Obama is a Muslim, global warming is fake, etc.) which, upon actual reading, either fails to support or outright refutes the offered statement.

September 26, 2016 5:33 PM MDT

I don't know how to say this without sounding rude as hell, but it is not personal.

WHO CARES?

Does it REALLY matter what the amount is with a 10 percent variable?  I am not going to lose one iota of sleep over something that changes with the tides.

September 26, 2016 5:37 PM MDT

Black youth is a different demographic than black youth?

51% is high, it's bad and that is Bernie's point.  I supported Bernie and I agree with the point. Yes it was an estimate that isn't the official rate and I think that is fair since the official rate is not a great measure.

59% is high, it's bad and that is Trump's point. I support trump only as he is the only choice other than hillary but I agree with that point. Yes it is an estimate and it isn't the official rate.

What I hear is that an estimate of 51% black youth unemployment compared to an official number of 19% is mostly true. But an estimate of 59% black youth unemployment compared to an official number of 19% is mostly false. There will be no expanding on these points during the debate so any fact checking will happen on the spot with that information. Will the same statement be truth when hillary says it but lies when trump does?.

September 26, 2016 6:00 PM MDT

A statement needs further explanation to be fact checked? It should stand on its own. Youth black employment is 50-60% or it is not. That is all that was said and neither person specified age range when the statement was made. If a number of over 50% can be mostly true when one person says it then it cannot be mostly false when another person says almost the same number. And during a debate there will be no phoning a campaign for more details there will be only people deciding on the spot if something is true or not. That is why it is a bad idea.

September 26, 2016 6:04 PM MDT

That is my point that it is an estimate and both estimates are similar to each other but one estimate is false because trump said it even though it was true because bernie said it. The fact checker people found a reason to decide it was true for bernie and found a reason to say it was false for trump even though both statements are essentially the same.

September 26, 2016 6:07 PM MDT

Snopes, the great liberal propaganda machine.
      September 29, 2016 7:24 PM MDT

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias"
    -- Stephen Colbert

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality-based_community

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rio-tazewell/dnc--rnc-facts-vs-feeling_b_11307140.html
      September 29, 2016 7:34 PM MDT