Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Communication » What is your view of people who regularly misuse big words they misunderstand, in a vain attempt to seem more intelligent?

What is your view of people who regularly misuse big words they misunderstand, in a vain attempt to seem more intelligent?

Do you find them amusing, irksome, or do you just feel indifference?

Posted - April 17, 2020

Responses

I act depending on the person, the word, and the situation.
     If I know what they are trying to say, I let it go.

If it is grossly misused or is going to be an embarassment in usage, I polietly whisper in their ear or try to cover for them by somehow working it into the conversation.

If it is a friend, after the conversation or if it is written, I pull them aside and gently share with them the correction.

I have defintely used words incorrectly in conversations trying to be bigger than I am.  I haven't done it in a while... I don't think... but if I do, please feel free to correct me.
    I'd rather have my friends here correct me than go on about my life making a fool of myself.
    ;) :)

April 17, 2020 10:56 PM MDT

Thanks, Merlin. You covered a lot of ground there, well said. 
      April 18, 2020 6:34 AM MDT

I feel embarrassed for them.  I sometimes say something, but if I feel indifferent about the person I don't bother.  
      April 17, 2020 11:14 PM MDT

Indeed, sometimes it isn’t worth the effort. 
      April 18, 2020 6:35 AM MDT

I had a boss lots of years ago who really was a fool.  He used words he didn't understand and he pronounced words incorrectly all the time.  He actually would say pacifically rather than specifically and he would say wiff  for with.  One of the company vice president's last name was Friend.  My boss called him Mr. Friendly.  I told him once but he continued....seriously a fool.  One day he call Mr. Friend Mr. Friendly and Mr. Friend corrected him in an unfriendly manner.  I walked out of the office because I knew satisfaction could be seen on my face.  Not long after that, my boss was moved to an outlying office.  He wasn't happy, but I was.  Thank you Mr. Friend!  Corporate life...
      April 18, 2020 6:45 AM MDT

It’s pretty cool when these things work themselves out. 
      April 18, 2020 6:49 AM MDT

Yes.  It was a long time ago when I was much more timid. 
      April 18, 2020 6:57 AM MDT

~
      April 18, 2020 7:44 PM MDT

It irks me. I had an unfortunately unforgettable conversation with one such person, and the words were not even ‘big’ words he used. 

[Paraphrased.]

“Good afternoon, sir, my name is Randy D, how may I help you, please?”

“Yeah, basically I jes’ wanna git some information about (name).”

“Well, due to privacy concerns, we’re limited as to what information can be divulged to a third party.”

“What if I’m like basically a relative of hissen?”

“What exactly is your relationship to him, sir?”

“None really, but since I actually been knowin’ him so long, we’re basically like related an’ sh**.”

“Are you saying that the two of you are relatives, or that you’re friends, sir?”

”Basically, yeah.”

”I’m sorry, sir, but you’ll have to be more specific than that. Which is it?  Are you friends or are you not friends?”

”Yeah.”

”I don’t know what that means.”

”Like, I actually dint call up for all dese questions, why can’t you basically jes’ look him up an’ tell me what I wanna know?”

”As I told you, sir, he has to give permission for any release of information. Right now, you’re just a voice on the phone, we have no way of knowing if he wants it discussed with you until or unless he authorizes it.”

”But I just told you I’m like basically his friend.”

”That’s not a relationship, but either way, there’s nothing I can divulge to you right now.”

”Dat’s basically the second time you said dat; what does it mean?”

”Which part, sir?”

”Basically, dat word you used: da bulge.”

”Oh, you mean ‘divulge’.  It means to reveal information.”

”Den why dint you jes’ basically say dat?”

”We’ll have to wrap this up, sir, I won’t be able to assist you at this time. If you’d like to get in contact with him and seek his permission, we’ll gladly provide him with the form that he needs to fill out.”

”So basically, dat’s it?  You dint even help me at all, actually.”

(Choking back the bile.) “I cant help you, even if I wanted to. It’s by regulation and by law that he would have to sign a privacy agreement specifically naming you as the authorized recipient prior to us revealing any information.”

”Does it make a actual difference if I’m like gonna be basically named on the account along wit’ him?”

”We’ll wait until we hear from him, sir.”

April 18, 2020 12:34 AM MDT

Basikly seems to be his favrit  wurd.
      April 18, 2020 1:40 AM MDT

Good example; I had hoped (read: expected) that this one would be in your wheelhouse. It often frustrates me how people have so little respect for BASIC language skills. 

April 18, 2020 6:39 AM MDT

I wrote a computer program using BASIC to calculate prime numbers. It was kinda fun.
      April 18, 2020 8:40 AM MDT

(kind of)

Grrrrrr, I despise being baited. 
      April 18, 2020 10:06 AM MDT

I wish your polite but direct approach would be essential to all telemarketers and information swines that call.

If he was a friend or a relative, it would seem he would call them directly or already know that information.

Credit cards and especially debit cards are a means to all information running rampant and strangers abusing your hard-earned funds. 
      April 18, 2020 11:04 AM MDT

I don't know anyone who talks that way.
      April 18, 2020 1:41 AM MDT

I'm a massive fan of big WURDS as I have to right far less wurds too Phil ah line of type ping. :) 
      April 18, 2020 2:35 AM MDT

It may be fair to rate you as a fan of creating words. 
      April 18, 2020 6:47 AM MDT

So long as it's not long winded, most people don't turn their noses up about it Ivor :) 
      April 18, 2020 6:56 AM MDT

Big Giigles!  I agree!
    :) :)
      April 18, 2020 11:07 AM MDT

Its not a hay fing yew hav todo....:( 
      April 18, 2020 2:46 PM MDT

I think it's Supercalafradulisticexpaledocious ,if you ask me....:( 
      April 18, 2020 2:40 AM MDT

Personally,I find it Incredulous for anyone to do such things an heathen more so on ear ..:(  
      April 18, 2020 2:50 AM MDT

(Buzzer sound)
    Upon review of ‘Mary Poppins’, I am of the opinion that that is not the correct usage of that word. ;)
      April 18, 2020 6:45 AM MDT

No ! She said it was ok and I could use it freely when ever I felt fit....
    Well ,! I know for sure I'm fit as I'm told almost daily by totally unbiased strangers....so I do ..:) 
      April 18, 2020 6:49 AM MDT