Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » What's your opinion on humans keeping wild animals as pets?

What's your opinion on humans keeping wild animals as pets?

~

Posted - April 20, 2020

Responses

No tolerance policy period.
      April 21, 2020 2:45 AM MDT

I agree. Unless it's necessary for their survival, wild things should remain wild, and the breeding of captive born species for profit should stop, regardless of their size or potential danger to humans. 
      April 25, 2020 10:32 AM MDT

It is the epitome of selfishness and stupidity.
      April 21, 2020 6:12 AM MDT

YES!

I adore wild animals, but even if I had all the space and money in the world, I'd not contribute to their suffering. 
      April 25, 2020 10:01 AM MDT

Other than in a zoo where they have plenty of space and are well-treated, I am opposed.  Most places don't allow you to keep wild animals.  how this guy got away with keeping "kitty" in his apartment is beyond me.  I can't really feel sorry for what happened to him.  There are some animals that cannot be domesticated - lions and tigers and bears, oh my.
      April 21, 2020 7:33 AM MDT

I do think that legitimate and respectable zoos are important tools in wildlife conservation. I agree that wild animals shouldn't be domesticated, but I'm not sure that they cannot be. 

Have you ever heard of  this man and his bear? Makes my heart smile. 

https://mutually.com/trending/2018/04/14/this-friendship-between-a-man-and-his-bear-is-still-going-strong/
      April 25, 2020 9:52 AM MDT

Well, dogs are domesticated wolves, which are wild animals and I'm sure there are other animals that have been domesticated such as cats which were tigers, lions, etc., but I'm sure it took decades if not millennia to accomplish that.
      April 25, 2020 10:10 AM MDT

i don’t get it tbh. what’s the allure of having a 500 pound tiger living in your house. my cats are only like four pounds and they create more than enough havoc, i can’t imagine if they were 5 times heavier than me 
      April 25, 2020 9:34 AM MDT

I understand the allure (not in the house), but I think it's just wrong for the animals. 
      April 25, 2020 9:57 AM MDT

Hey, wait a second, is that a tilde?  

May 25, 2020 12:26 PM MDT

Yes, sir. 

~
      June 1, 2020 11:32 AM MDT

As long as they are not being taken from the wild....I am fine as long as they are being cared for properly. (This involves diet, space, habitat etc) This eleminates the keeping of large animals for most people. 

June 1, 2020 11:47 AM MDT

They are taken from the wild.  And, regardless of how nicely they are kept after they're purchased (usually not all that nicely), captive animals used for breeding are kept in deplorable conditions. 

I find it incredibly interesting how humans decide the value and deserved treatment of other species. It's not unlike how some people view certain humans as being more deserving of good treatment than others. 

While I don't agree with taking animals from their natural homes to be kept as pets, at least these animals have had a taste of what their lives should be. Wild animals who are born into captivity and die in captivity are the most unfortunate ones, in my opinion. I feel the same way about wild animals who are slaughtered for food, such as deer. While I am saddened by the loss of their lives, at least they had a life that wasn't full of torture from beginning to end. 
      June 5, 2020 9:15 PM MDT

In most cases a capitive animal cannot be released....they cannot take care of themselves with help. 

As I said as long as properly cared for....large animals are generally going to be in zoo or similar.  I have no problem with zoos. I love going to the zoo. Walk through, drive through...love them. 

As for smaller animals, still with all proper care. I have no problem there. We have laws to punish those who mistreat them. Those should be enforced. 

We had a african spurred tortoise at my business. Someone turned us in said was mistreated. The authorities did come to check it out.   They said that was in fact probably the most pampered tortoise he had ever seen.  (Unfortunately, we lost him about 2 years ago. He had an unknown allergy to a food they normally eat in the wild.) 

June 6, 2020 5:58 AM MDT

I think we're talking about separate things. Rescued wildlife and accredited zoos that are monitored closely by regulatory agencies are entirely different than the exotic pet trade and "roadside zoos" and fake exotic animal "rescue centers". 

I completely understand the attraction to wild animals (such as your tortoise), I just don't think they should be kept as pets, and the continued breeding of wild species for profit is something that I don't support and I hope that one day it will be criminalized. 

Condolences on your loss. 
      June 6, 2020 10:44 AM MDT

Comical until someone gets eaten or is it comical afterward?
      June 6, 2020 10:55 AM MDT