Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » how come my fudge won’t set and how can I make it set

how come my fudge won’t set and how can I make it set

Posted - April 25, 2020

Responses

Is it cocoa fudge?  I love it and I never found a sure-fire way to have it come out perfectly.  The humidity in the air seems to have an effect.  Also, when I lived at higher elevation (about 3,000 ft) it never came out right.  Candy thermometers are a waste of time for me.  I use the soft ball stage method.  Obviously I never gained total command over that process either.  

The good thing is that if it will not set you can pour it over ice cream or a cake and it's wonderful.  Or just eat it with a spoon.  My kids ate many a plate of fudge with a spoon.  :)
      April 26, 2020 2:51 AM MDT

im really good at making regular cocoa fudge, but im trying to make lemon fudge and it’s somewhat set because I reheated it for longer, but it’s so sticky it’s terrible and I don’t know how to fix it ???? i thought heating it more and for longer would help it. it set a little better this time but it’s sooooo sticky 
      April 26, 2020 9:23 AM MDT

Lemon fudge?  That's a new one for me.  If it improved once, it might improve again.  Good luck.  But really, the fun is in the pursuit of perfection.  Once you get it, it always is sort of a let down.  :)
      April 26, 2020 10:21 AM MDT

You can't. If you want perfect fudge every time, melt 3 cups of chocolate chips into a can of condensed milk over low heat. If you want to be fancy you can add a little vanilla extract. Fudge is too sweet for me, but I used to make this for others and it was a big hit.
      April 26, 2020 5:35 AM MDT

that’s how I usually make fudge but this time I used white chocolate chips and lemon + vanilla extract and lemon zest to make lemon fudge. i have a sweet tooth so I love fudge 
      April 26, 2020 9:20 AM MDT

Freeze it...
      April 26, 2020 7:09 AM MDT

i left it in the freezer for like 2 days and it still didn’t set. i tried heating it and reheating so I hope that works 
      April 26, 2020 9:23 AM MDT

Just call it chocolate jello.  You may have stumbled on a new invention. 
      April 26, 2020 12:10 PM MDT

It could be because you are not using enough icing surgare - icing  sugar helps fudge set. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at April 26, 2020 12:16 PM MDT
      April 26, 2020 12:15 PM MDT