Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why would a government leader tell nursing homes they must accept covid-19 residents?

Why would a government leader tell nursing homes they must accept covid-19 residents?

How does this protect residents in the nursing home who do not have the virus?

These are the most vulnerable people to this disease.

Posted - May 1, 2020

Responses

Did you research the reasoning of that “leader”? There’s the answer. 

Or are we supposed to speculate what an unnamed individual we have never met, may not even have heard of, meant, based on a snippet of information about a message we didn’t hear and you provide no reference or context to? 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 2, 2020 7:32 AM MDT
      May 1, 2020 9:06 PM MDT

I am purposely leaving the names out trying to avoid partisanship. 

Why would any government leader make such a decision? This post was edited by my2cents at May 3, 2020 12:04 AM MDT
      May 2, 2020 9:18 AM MDT

Those first two sentences should be combined into just one; it changes both the emphasis of your point and slightly the meaning of what you’re saying when separated into two distinct sentences. 

May 2, 2020 9:36 AM MDT

No, you’re trying to create an argument. Very poorly. How could we honestly reason why such a a bad choice would be advocated, given the bare description you give. 
    Stop insulting our intelligence. 

May 2, 2020 4:28 PM MDT

I was trying to find any logic to the orders.  As you can see below JA was able to give somw possible reasons. 
      May 2, 2020 4:44 PM MDT

First of all, you are correct about the elderly being the most vulnerable to the virus. So far, California, New Jersey, and New York have done this. This should never happen regardless of political party affiliation. The ones who are most vulnerable are the ones we should do our best to protect.
      May 2, 2020 12:03 PM MDT

Thank you. I did not know about NJ. 
      May 2, 2020 1:07 PM MDT

You're welcome. Let's just hope that other states don't follow suit and make it a common practice.
      May 3, 2020 12:01 AM MDT

I don't know the context of this, but I'm curious. There are times this would make sense to me.

1) Are the patients on government health programs and do the facilities accept the programs? If so, the comment may have come because they didn't want people who couldn't afford other care to not get the help they need. 

2) Are hospitals full? If so, then the overflow must go somewhere. 

3) Are these acute care centers that are equipped for these situations? If so, this shouldn't be a problem.
      May 2, 2020 1:26 PM MDT

These are executive orders issues by different state Governors.

I know in NY nursing homes were ordered to accept Covid19 patients. I know nursing homes were saying they did not have the necessary equipent to care for them.  I know Gov Cuomo said that helping them get the equipment was "not his job".  The military hospital had beds available in NY and were not used.

In CA,  Gov Gavin Newson also made this order but did make use of the military beds to releave the nursing homes. This post was edited by my2cents at May 3, 2020 12:05 AM MDT
      May 2, 2020 2:21 PM MDT

I had to look it up to see why the policy was made and it has to do with keeping hospital beds open for the neediest patients. 

It sucks, but what's the alternative? They're in the best position to care for these people. The only alternative I can think of is for the states to create temporary housing for the sick and elderly. I can't imagine there are resources for that- we're not just talking beds, but staff, equipment, etc. They may not have the resources they need either, but this is the sad side-effect of the pandemic. Nobody is in a position to deal with this. The most equipped people are going to have to. 

As for Cuomo saying it wasn't the state's job to supply equipment... it's not. These are private businesses. They have to conform to government regulations to stay open, but it's up to them on how to get it done. A lot of the states, NY included, are sending PPE when they can, which is good, but there are shortages everywhere. What we're seeing in a lot of communities, my own included, are individual people stepping up and donating supplies and/or making masks for people to wear. 

I really think everyone is trying to make the best of a dismal situation. It's difficult all around. 
      May 2, 2020 5:14 PM MDT

Being about beds makes sense and would be a good reason if the beds which were available had already been used. 

I personally think they should created a separate facility to house the Covid19 residents together. Separate from the non-Covid19 patients.  
      May 2, 2020 5:43 PM MDT