Active Now

Slartibartfast
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Language » Philosophically speaking, can something be fake yet not be fictional, or fictional yet not be fake?

Philosophically speaking, can something be fake yet not be fictional, or fictional yet not be fake?

Are fake and fictional always synonymous with each other?
~

Posted - May 2, 2020

Responses

Yes. A toy snake is a fake snake but is not fictional nor imaginary.
      May 2, 2020 10:29 AM MDT

Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto half not be. Now that's deep.
      May 2, 2020 3:24 PM MDT

Not exactly.

Fake is pretend, like a teddy bear, or imitation furs; fictional is absent (or contrary to) factual proof of its existence, like most of the characters people pray to. 

May 2, 2020 4:44 PM MDT

First, it depends on your philosophy. I'd assert that fakes and fictional are never and cannot be synonymous.

Second - the better the verisimilitude in a story, the better the fiction works.
    Consider a story you know well and love, E. A. Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado."
    If we've never appreciated the delights of a special wine, or known of the intense passion for a particular brew that some people have, we would not know how such a taste could lead us unwittingly into danger. 
    Each element of realism (mimicry of real life,) comes together to make the story plausible. It's this that allows us to recognise and understand the motives and plans of the narrator when they're finally revealed.
    Great fiction carries perennial truths about human nature in it's themes, characterisation and consequences.
    I would not call that fake.

On the other hand, there's nothing fictional about fake leather or other fake substances. As fakes, they really do exist.

This post was edited by inky at May 3, 2020 5:42 AM MDT
      May 2, 2020 9:25 PM MDT

First, it depends on your philosophy.”

Are you using the word “your” in the general sense, or specifically referring to me as the person who asked the questions?
      May 2, 2020 10:44 PM MDT

I intend both senses.
    I am directly answering your question.
    But my replies are always written in hope of replies from any one interested in the topic.

To be more accurate, I probably should have said, "It depends on one's philosophy."

This post was edited by inky at May 3, 2020 8:29 AM MDT
      May 3, 2020 12:09 AM MDT

I catch myself in this trap often!  I use the general "you" more often than not but am also responding to that person.
    If I were to write "one's," it wouldn't seem to flow as well when reading or writing. Using "you" may be  considered lazy or slang but I think it reads easier. 
    What I am trying to say is I understand and hear both sides.
    ;) :) 

This post was edited by Merlin at May 3, 2020 8:30 AM MDT
      May 3, 2020 5:50 AM MDT

When I think of  fiction or fictional,  I think of a book or written stories. 
    When I think of fake, I think of not real. A horse model but not the horse.

To me, one word represents words of a page. They are images I create in my mind formed by words another person has given me.

The other is about something I can touch and is in the physical world. I don't just use my mind or imagination.  I use my senses.  
      May 3, 2020 6:01 AM MDT

~
      May 3, 2020 8:32 AM MDT

Huge Giggles!
    Which end are you??
    ;) :)!! This post was edited by Merlin at May 3, 2020 10:22 AM MDT
      May 3, 2020 10:20 AM MDT

Hey!  I’m not in there, I just posted the photo!  It’s as if I’m the producer or talent scout or casting director!  Grrrrrr. 

~
      May 3, 2020 10:23 AM MDT