Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Is backpay from ssi considered income?

Is backpay from ssi considered income?

I got this call last wk saying that they were taking me off ssi and giving me a backpay too, i got it in my bank acct yesterday. i wish i had saved the email but i lost it in the garbage folder, didnt think id need it but i do. i get statements from my bank every day so im going to check tomorrow and see if that one will show up in the email, what im thinking of doing is forwarding it to the people that need it like hud or social services, i cant even make copies of stuff anymore thanks to the corona virus closing libraries etc., theres no wheres to copy it, i called the bank up asking them if they could send me copies but i have to wait till its out of pending. its a one time payment so im wondering if thats considered income and if i need to copy it for social services or hud or could i skip it if its not considered income. its a pain to try and get paperwork done when everything is closed up. it was a couple of thousand, do i really need to turn it in if it might not be considered income or what and how since i cant copy anything anywheres, any ideas?

Posted - May 10, 2020

Responses

I do not think you have to worry about SSI payments. HUD being a gov agency they likely already know. 

It is strange they called normally everything is done on paper via US Mail.   Do not give out any personal info especially banking. 
      May 10, 2020 3:57 PM MDT

Unless you emptied the trash/garbage
    that email should still be there?
    Open up your garbage/trash and see if it is there.
         Also i don't think SSI will ever call you,
    always via mail, sounds like a scam, be careful. This post was edited by Baba at May 11, 2020 6:50 AM MDT
      May 10, 2020 4:06 PM MDT

The Social Security Administration NEVER calls.  They always communicate with you by mail.  
      May 10, 2020 5:13 PM MDT

thats what i thought too until they said they were putting backpay in my acct and did it
      May 10, 2020 5:17 PM MDT

Why would you throw away the paperwork they sent you?  What you may have received was the one-time stimulus check which would have been sent directly to your bank account.  However if you gave away your bank information to someone on the phone, you may have played into the hands of a scammer.  
      May 10, 2020 5:20 PM MDT

Spunky Senior is absolutely correct: many scam operations work that way, they gain your confidence by the carrot-and-stick method. The carrot is the money they put into your bank account, and the only way they can do that is to get you to give them your banking information. Once they have that, they don't mind dropping money into your account, because that's how they get you to believe that they're legitimate. Then, depending on how much access or information you give them, gave them, or continue to give them, they clean out your account. Scammers call, legitimate organizations usually do not. Scammers ask for personal information from you, legitimate organizations usually do not.
    ~
      May 11, 2020 7:01 AM MDT

You may be able to go into your computer's trash folder and retrieve the email you got.  If you can, forward the email to yourself and it will appear in your Inbox.
      May 10, 2020 5:23 PM MDT

Sounds like a scam to get your stimulus check.
    Beware
      May 10, 2020 6:30 PM MDT

A lump sum of Social Security is taxable, and it is if you receive a white, gray, and pink SSA-1099 form for it next year. SSI, however, is a type of disability and/or assistance and usually not taxable.
      May 10, 2020 6:46 PM MDT

Call those agency offices and ask.  You can really get messed up if you have a deposit and it puts you over the Medicaid income limit.  Do it now.  Call SSI first to find out why you are getting backpay PLUS termination?  
      May 11, 2020 11:05 AM MDT