Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I've only ever been in a couple of BARS in my life and never did I go there on my own alone. Have you? What do you seek there?

I've only ever been in a couple of BARS in my life and never did I go there on my own alone. Have you? What do you seek there?

There was one in San Francisco that was behind an unmarked door. You could pass right by it and never know it was there. It was called the "No Name Bar" as I recall. My date and I flew to San Francisco and had dinner at a high-class joint....The Blue Fox I think it was. Then my date and I dropped by that bar which might have been in Sausalito. I was in my early 20's which was a very long time ago. It was dark and quiet and cool. I don't remember what we ordered. I think it might have been a mug of beer. It was so nifty!

The other bar I remember was in the San Fernando Valley and it was the bar part of a restaurant. I was meeting my accountant there for dinner. I waited for him in the lobby. He showed up and then we went to the bar and had a drink while we waited for a table. That's it! So I'm not personally knowledgeable about bars except how they are depicted in movies. I doubt they are like CHEERS. I think they're more like the bar in THE ICEMAN COMETH. Oh and of course the Wisconsites who fled out in droves to bars as the very first thing they wanted to do to assert their independence. Different strokes!

Oh wait! The best bar I ever went to was the MAI TAI Bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on the sand on the beach at Waikiki. We flew to Honolulu for our son's graduation and had Mai Tais and coconut shrimp as the sun was setting. Beautiful sunset. Gentle warm breeze. Picture perfect! Best bar in the world in my opinion. Of course my opinion is limited to three bars in my life!

Posted - May 15, 2020

Responses

I go in pubs or bars to buy a beer or wine and read a paper or mag to pass the time if I'm out and about or just shopping Rosie...most all places sell food or nibbles...It's also somewhere to wait for a friends ..
      May 15, 2020 5:05 AM MDT

Well you are far more outgoing than I am D. Going into any place where strangers are sitting and reading and "chewing the fat" is not something I'd be comfortable doing. Perhaps being an introvert has something to do with that. I don't know. My very outgoing gregarious sister worked nights in a Bar as a bartender for some friends who owned the Bar. She met her husband there. My darling sweet adorable brother-in-law for many decades now. He is not that outgoing or easy to get to know. It was just a fluke of good luck he happened to go in there one night. That would never ever be me. Also and more importantly English pubs are kind of celebrated for being like a pickle barrel would be here in the states. A "hangout" where locals go. A place for folks to congregate and chat. You Brits are known for serving WARM beer. Is that true? Anyway I expect you are comfortable any place you choose to go. Thank you for your helpful and informative reply D! :) I'd wait for friends in a lobby and I'd be reading. Now I have waited for friends in a restaurant. I'd be the first one to show up and sit at the table and let the waiter know I was waiting for friends. But I'd still be reading something and not make eye contact with strangeres. Too shy. :)
      May 15, 2020 5:15 AM MDT

There are pubs and bars I would not dare enter alone Rosie....Some of the roughest places which are or use to be hang outs for the roughest villains are/were also the safest places to go in...they were always polite and respectful and God help anyone who stepped out of line and was disrespectful to females that by chance wondered in....
    I can tell you cases where the people that did big roberies were also really bepne plenty to the less well off or poor in their communities..they might be thieves,but not al were nasty or untrustworthy....If a guy was being heavy handed with who her was with in front of them....god help him... 
      May 15, 2020 5:46 AM MDT

I have not been to many bars.  But when I went it was to drink and have a good time shooting pool.  But generally too expensive to drink in a bar.

I do not drink at all now. We do have a pool table at home now. 
      May 15, 2020 6:17 AM MDT

How much is a pint of beer in your pubs it bars...You can pay between £2-5 pounds per pint depending on what pub you go in in London...We have Weatherspoon pub chain here that all charge the same rate no matter which one you go into..They sell food to and for £ five pounds can get a steak meal and a free pint of beer...
      May 15, 2020 6:29 AM MDT

Honestly, I do not know anymore. I have not been to a bar in over 20yrs. I know back then spending $100 in an evening was easy on 2 people. That was Jack and Coke not beer though. 
      May 15, 2020 7:08 AM MDT

How much was was was one measure of spirit  or a pint of beer back then then, can you remember that still ? How big was one tot ,is it a set measure or do they just tip a splosh in each glass..one shot in pubs in England is 1.5 fluid imperial ounces..  25 milli litres of whiskey cost around £2 upwards..
      May 15, 2020 10:38 AM MDT

I think is was like $3-4 for an 10oz glass of Jack and Coke.  .I have never purchased a beer of any size or kind in a bar.  I do not like the taste. 

But I do remember commercials saying  specials for 99cent draft night....I assume 8-12 oz glass. 
      May 15, 2020 12:09 PM MDT

That don't seem to expensive.....:) 
      May 15, 2020 12:20 PM MDT

That is 20+yrs ago. 
      May 15, 2020 12:23 PM MDT

I've been to a few bars in my time, but not lately.  I never went to one alone, though.  If I was meeting a friend, I would go in to see if they had arrived before me and if not, I'd wait for them outside.  When I was in my 20s, there was this neighborhood place called Churchill's Plum.  It was a nice place to meet up with friends, they had tables if you wanted to eat there and on the weekends, they had live music for dancing.  We used to hang out there a lot.  

There's a really nice little hole-in-the wall in my neighborhood called Dirty Pierre's where they serve the best burgers in the area, the drinks are tall and very inexpensive by comparison to other places, and the two bartenders are the friendliest I've ever met.  Neighborhood friends and I meet there for dinner on occasion.
      May 15, 2020 8:28 AM MDT