Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Legal » Geopolitically speaking, what are some of the similarities and differences between counties in the UK and in the US? ~

Geopolitically speaking, what are some of the similarities and differences between counties in the UK and in the US? ~

[EDIT: The key word here is COUNTIES.  It is not "countries".]

Posted - May 16, 2020

Responses

Some US counties, especially in the old northeastern colonies, have the same names as English ones, such as Berkshire, Essex, Kent, Richmond, Suffolk, and Sussex. Others, such as New Haven, New  London (Connecticut), and New York (Manhattan), were derived from English ones such as Haven, London, and York. Still others, such as Kings and Queens, were created to honor English monarchs in general.
      May 16, 2020 9:36 AM MDT

In my home state of Alabama some counties are still dry.  Does that mean people don't drink.  Of course not.  Growing up I spent half of my time at the river which was in a dry county. My best friend's family had a cabin.  Everyone knew which marinas sold beer, even the sheriff.  And since it was already illegal, they never cared how old you were.  No one ever bothered them.  Moonshine was (and still is) big business.  It was sold out of private homes.  There were signals that the house had product and it was safe that could be seen from the country roads.  The one my friends went to used her broom to let customers know if they could come up to the house to buy some white lightning.  The position of broom was the tell tell. 
      May 16, 2020 12:42 PM MDT

Er, um, thank you for that, but what’s the connection between your story and counties in the UK, the similarities or differences?

May 16, 2020 1:53 PM MDT

There are no dry counties in the UK, are there?  Well, there ya go. 

May 17, 2020 6:46 PM MDT

I do not know; I'm not UKian.

~
      May 17, 2020 11:55 PM MDT

I get a sense that health care in America is far better than in the UK. 
      May 16, 2020 3:21 PM MDT

Huh?

You do realize that the question is about a comparison of counties in the two countries, right?

:|
      May 16, 2020 8:24 PM MDT