Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Is there someway to clean the tarter from a cats teeth, without going to the Vet?

Is there someway to clean the tarter from a cats teeth, without going to the Vet?

A Vet told me today my cat has tarter and it is causing gingivitis.  She recommended
I take her to my regular Vet for a teeth cleaning.  The price for dental procedures is
$250.00 to $400.00, way out of my price range.  Does anyone know a way I could clean the
tarter off of her teeth myself? 

Posted - October 1, 2016

Responses

Lay a bath towel on a table and set the cat on it. Wrap the towel completely around the cat and secure it with duck tape. Secure it with more duck tape. Now you can safely brush the teeth any way you know how. You don't need toothpaste or any such material, it's brushing that does the job.

Release the cat by cutting the tape with scissors.
      October 1, 2016 2:46 PM MDT

• Uh, that's insane.
      October 1, 2016 2:49 PM MDT

Not really.  The alternative is a tranquilizer.  
      October 1, 2016 3:28 PM MDT

• Yeah, I gueeeeeeeeeessssss.
      October 1, 2016 3:31 PM MDT

No wonder it costs. Those critters Bite.

It is done by scraping the cats teeth with a special scraper. That is not pleasant even when done correctly, so I suggest you pay instead of getting bitten yourself.
      October 1, 2016 2:46 PM MDT

Well, DUH! How do you think I figured out to use a towel and duck tape?

But yeah, I agree that you probably won't want to do it a second time. This post was edited by Not Sure at October 2, 2016 6:45 AM MDT
      October 1, 2016 2:57 PM MDT

I give my cat dental treats
    very hard stuff she loves to eat
    it cleans tartar
    she loves catnip flavor
    but they have many flavors
      October 1, 2016 3:31 PM MDT

Such treats (and tooth brushing) are good as preventive measures, but once tartar have formed it needs stronger measures to get it removed. The question sounds as if that is the case here.
      October 1, 2016 3:35 PM MDT

The buildup is hardened onto the teeth and cannot be removed without special metal scrapers, just like they use on you in the dental office. It can also extend below the gumline. If you do it wrong and bang up the teeth or injure the roots, the teeth can die, which will eventually result in the cat getting abscesses and losing the teeth.

For your cat's sake, pay to have him put out with anesthesia so he's agreeable and isn't traumatized by the experience. The cleaning should be done by a professional. If you do it yourself, the best you can hope for is an inadequate cleaning with continued gingivitis. 
      October 1, 2016 4:46 PM MDT

That makes sense, thanks
      October 2, 2016 6:46 AM MDT

i heard they have health insurance for pets
      October 1, 2016 8:33 PM MDT

I will check into that for sure, thank you. This post was edited by Sunshine at October 2, 2016 6:46 AM MDT
      October 2, 2016 6:46 AM MDT

I'd suggest saving your money to have the procedure done by a veterinarian.  Trying to do it yourself could result in injury to the cat.   Perhaps you might think about giving the animal to someone who could afford to care for it properly.  
      October 5, 2016 6:02 AM MDT