Discussion » Questions » Music » Has the original music video for R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts" always had English subtitles in it?

Has the original music video for R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts" always had English subtitles in it?

I swear I don't remember ever seeing subtitles -- and this video is extremely powerful to me. I very easily remember the video. I'd think I'd have remembered subtitles. And every time I look up the video, it now has subtitles. (I find them distracting.)

And they have inserted supposed  unspoken thoughts of people in the video - - even more annoying to me. :)

EDIT: Well, they don't want it posted. :)  
Here's a link to a youtube video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOiW_xY-kc&list=RD5rOiW_xY-kc&start_radio=1

Posted - May 25, 2020

Responses

Apparently. Check this out:

Great song, BTW. One of my all-time faves. 
      May 25, 2020 11:18 PM MDT

:) Thanks, Just Asking. The video you share here is from the VH-1 show called Pop Up Video -- a show I really liked. They took videos and gave background tidbits about it as it plays. That's not the version of the video about which I'm talking- - to help find out the one I'm talking about, check out your video you posted - - after the video plays entirely, and at the end, when the video stops and pauses, for me, there are a couple of video choices one can choose to play, including, again, R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts."
    Check out that one, too, if you get a chance -- it's not the Pop Up Video show version.

The subtitles in the one about which I mean have just the song lyrics --  and then, every time all the different  people are shown in their cars, the individuals' unspoken supposed thoughts are including as subtitles, too, in the same font as the song lyrics themselves, as if they're official song lyrics. I don't even like the song lyrics being shown (they're unneeded - - Stipe sings very clearly). But, then, these other supposed thoughts are irritating to me --
    like a young boy in a car looking out the window at the traffic jam - "They're all stuck" -- 
    an attractive woman looking out her opened driver's side window in the traffic jam  - "Look at me" --
    and a man and a woman arguing in their car - "Here we go again" --
    stuff like that is through the entire video. The more I think about it, I know the original video was not that way. :) It simply was the song and visuals with none of the subtitles.

I've gone on and on here. Hope it made sense about it being a different video version than the Pop Up Video show one.  Your liking the song like I do, I bet you, too, might not like this version of the video. I can't seem to find the "empty", "subtitle-less" version.
    :)

Thanks for answering!

I like the song a lot, too.
      May 26, 2020 6:35 AM MDT

The video I included gives the background on why those subtitles are there. They were there from the beginning. :)
      May 26, 2020 7:06 AM MDT

Hey, thanks! I didn't watch all of the Pop Up Video spot you posted! 
    Wow -- funny why I blocked the subtitles out. I have to go to work now but I will check it out.
    The visuals of the video and the music and lyrics are so involving to me --  maybe that's why I simply maybe paid no attention to the subtitles. And after a long time of just listening to the song, to then go back and watch the video, maybe that's when I noticed them.

Thanks, again!

May 26, 2020 7:31 AM MDT

24 seconds in. lol But it's all good. 
      May 26, 2020 8:14 AM MDT

I seriously did not remember these subtitles -- I now love them! I'm surely glad I asked the question! And you helped me! (And, god, I love that Pop Up Video show.)

Oh, and I'll add -- this is the first time I watched the entire video in a long time - - I noticed how attractive that casting director is, ha! Great profile he has! - - 1:47 to 1:57 "The casting director --he's singing  a hymn"
      May 26, 2020 9:41 PM MDT

no idea
      June 22, 2020 4:53 PM MDT