Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Will those screaming about defunding police departments change their tune if crime increases as a result?

Will those screaming about defunding police departments change their tune if crime increases as a result?

Is this a knee-jerk overreaction to recent events?

Posted - June 8, 2020

Responses

I was joking with a coworker about this issue.
    Maybe they'll replace police departments with multi-billionaire vigilantes.
    You know ... like Batman or Iron Man.

Well, the actual wealth requirement will be based on the local cost-of-living.

Or, we could keep the police departments ... and just rescind every law.

June 8, 2020 3:09 PM MDT

Charles Bronson was great in this one...
      June 8, 2020 5:07 PM MDT

De-funding wouldn't work.
    More funding to ensure better education and supervision (ensuring zero tolerance for racism and abuses of power) would.
    The investment would save the lives of hundreds of innocents and millions in property not vandalised and looted.
      June 8, 2020 3:46 PM MDT

This has been tried over and over again. Any attempts to enforce the zero tolerance policies are litigated and generally fail. The union steps up to protect its members - they are already protesting that Chauvin was fired improperly. Disbanding the police force and starting over would allow for building a law enforcement agency from the ground up. It's easier to create a new culture than to change an old one.  And, not every person out there ensuring public safety necessarily needs a gun and handcuffs. Maybe that should be a last resort, not the only tools in the toolbox.
      June 8, 2020 5:48 PM MDT

Hmm. I can definitely see how rebuilding from the ground up would work best -
    but wouldn't disbanding the current police leave a difficult gap?
    Would it be possible to design a phased transition that keeps the old and new forces separated from each other? This post was edited by inky at June 8, 2020 10:30 PM MDT
      June 8, 2020 7:04 PM MDT

The ACLU will step in and provide both service and protection. Criminals and would-be criminals are already quaking in their boots, paralyzed with fear of creating any new victims. 

June 8, 2020 5:07 PM MDT

June 8, 2020 7:51 PM MDT

The more I learn about what it means to defund the police, the more intrigued I am by the possibilities. The Minneapolis City Council has declared its intention to disband the police and replace it with another model of public safety. Many of the issues that the police deal with, such as homelessness, domestic violence, drug use etc. might benefit by having someone trained in that issue responding. Putting more money into communities and less into a para-military law enforcement department might be a way that problems can be solved before they start or solved in less combative way. I'm not advocating or opposing this approach, but I do want to find out what it would look like. Our jails are full now, maybe police aren't the answer. We'll see. Also, this movement has been around for a long time, I wouldn't call it a knee-jerk.
      June 8, 2020 5:09 PM MDT

You bring up a very good point: if defunding and/or disbandment occur one day in the future, something needs to be put in place of the status quo, and that’s the part of the argument that hasn’t been openly discussed. It will truly be interesting to see what viable ideas people come up with. Thank you for intelligently voicing reason into this and rendering food for thought.  I am sure that I am not the only person who benefits from you having written this, I have an open enough mind to accept new ideas and ideals.

~

June 8, 2020 5:28 PM MDT

Yes. I'm beginning to understand it too. Thanks, Jane S.
      June 8, 2020 7:05 PM MDT

I would be getting petitions signed to recall the entire city council. 
      June 8, 2020 7:52 PM MDT

As the knee-to-the-neck is not an authorized use of force tactic, Derek Chauvin acted on his own volition in murdering George Floyd.  Taking funds away from a law enforcement agency and/or closing down law enforcement agencies does not efficiently address an illegal act by one of its officers.
      Regardless of what happens criminally in this case (a trial), there is clearly a civil lawsuit in the future, and either the Minneapolis police department itself, the city, the county, or the state of Minnesota can expect to be named as defendants.  This is in addition to Derek Chauvin himself being sued separately due to having acted outside of policy. The plaintiffs very well may seek millions in damages, and there is a high likelihood that they will prevail in the suit and the judgement may meet their named figure. 

Outcry for defunding might only work as appeasement to the masses, but in my opinion, it is unnecessary. 

~

June 8, 2020 5:18 PM MDT

[EDIT/DISCLAIMER]  It is true that being an on-duty sworn officer, Chauvin acted under the auspices of the police department, yet once he stopped acting within the scope of his employment and under the color of law, the department or the city are not fully relieved of legal responsibility for the murder.  That will be decided by the laws and ordinances of the jurisdiction that presided presides over the case. 

There is a legal burden that Chauvin may have to bear on his own. If it is determined that he alone is answerable for criminal or civil charges because he choose to ignore policy, the police department and/or the city will not provide him with legal counsel (attorney), and he will have to seek representation on his own, paying out of his own pocket. (His wife has already filed for divorce, possibly in an effort to separate herself financially from any monetary sanction.  I think it is a wise move: she didn’t murder George Floyd.)
      Many police unions and/or officers liability insurance programs opt to assist officers in those instances, of those choices are available to Chauvin. This post was edited by Randy D at June 9, 2020 6:20 AM MDT
      June 8, 2020 5:54 PM MDT

That puts a different perspective on it.
    I'd like to know how someone capable of doing such an act was employed as a cop.
    Had he ever shown signs of not following law and correct police procedures before.
    Was he known among his colleagues for saying disrespectful or biased statements about black or coloured Americans?
    Has he committed racist acts in his private life?
    Does he have any social connections with racist groups or organisations?

Is there not an argument that employers have a duty of care to ensure that their employees follow correct safety procedures and never put any life at risk (except in self defence)?
    If it was a mining company and one of the miners murdered another while at work, could the company be held liable?

June 9, 2020 2:16 AM MDT

In many ways, an agency or company cannot anticipate that any employee will committ misconduct or act outside of policy. However, if and when there is previous evidence of having done so, red flags do exist that give an indication of potential problems in the future. Unfortunately, I believe that may be what Chauvin had in his 19 years as a police officer: previous complaints. Keep in mind that a complaint itself is not necessarily concrete evidence, because there is also the question of whether or not any compliant was investigated and substantiated. If so, my first sentence above is moot  
    ~

June 9, 2020 6:29 AM MDT

If by "disbanding" you mean eliminating police departments, I would not be in favor.  If you mean taking some of the money allocated to the police to institute, improve and/or expand community programs to help wayward youth so that there are fewer adult criminals later on, that I can see.  Truth be told, we expect our police departments to be social workers as well as enforcers of the law and in some cases, mental health experts for none of which are they trained properly.  Having said that, I'm sure there are police officers who are not psychologically suited for the job.  Those who see having a badge and a gun as an extension of power are those who should probably find some other field.  Training then comes into play once they are on the force.  Except under the most extreme conditions, no officer should have the authority to put their arms around someone's neck - certainly when there are three or four other officers at the scene.  To be fair, I think most police officers are good people who try to do the right thing, keep the peace, and go home in one piece.  Most police officers never even draw their guns, let alone shoot at anyone.  They do have a right to defend themselves and others and if that means fatally shooting someone completely out of control, so be it.  Remember, that police officer also has to live with the consequences of their action.  We are taught from childhood that life is precious and to take a life goes against everything ingrained in most of us.  
      June 8, 2020 6:09 PM MDT

Did you here about the protesters for defunding the police who had to call the police?    A man in TX threatened them with a chainsaw.  (He was arrested by the police) 

I found it a little funny.  
      June 8, 2020 6:13 PM MDT

(here hear)

June 8, 2020 6:40 PM MDT

READ!!!

John Oliver
     made an impassioned argument for defunding the police on Sunday’s episode of “Last Week Tonight.”

Oliver, who dedicated the entire segment to the growing support for the Black Lives Matter movement, calls to rethink the functions of American law enforcement in the wake of the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and countless other Black people at the hands of law enforcement.

“Defunding the police doesn’t mean we eliminate cops and succumb to the Purge,” Oliver said. “Instead it’s about moving away from a narrow conception of public safety that relies on policing and punishment, and investing in a community’s actual safety net, things like stable housing, mental health services and community organization.”

Over the course of the 33-minute episode, Oliver examines the law enforcement’s history of discrimination in the United States, as well as its steady militarization under both Republican and Democratic administrations.

Oliver also lays out the pattern of opposition that police organizations demonstrate when pushed to reform, pointing toward police unions as a significant obstacle in keeping officers accused of misconduct off the street. He explained that many officers are granted legal immunity, even in particularly egregious cases of excessive force.

“This clearly isn’t about individual officers. It’s about a structure built on systemic racism that this country created intentionally and now needs to dismantle intentionally, and replace with one that takes into account the needs of the people that it actually serves. This is going to take sustained pressure and attention over a long period of time from all of us,” he concludes.

This post was edited by Zack at June 9, 2020 2:56 AM MDT
      June 8, 2020 7:10 PM MDT

Thanks for posting this.
      June 8, 2020 7:53 PM MDT

You're welcome.
      June 8, 2020 7:56 PM MDT

I echo her thanks, Zach. 

~

June 8, 2020 10:34 PM MDT

You're welcome too.
      June 9, 2020 6:26 AM MDT

Thank you for the this.  This sounds much better.  But the funding should not come out of the police budget. These programs should get their own funding in the budget and as they start to produce positive results then there is the possiblity that the police do not need as much funding. 

But whoever thought up "Defund the police" as a slogan during riots across the whole country should have thought a bit more about their messaging.  Cause defund the police sounds like dismantle the police....not reform. (Reform costs money)

Also there are plenty of people some in power saying get rid of the police. This post was edited by my2cents at June 9, 2020 6:27 AM MDT
      June 9, 2020 3:04 AM MDT