Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Should officers have this non-lethal gun as an first option to stop a suspect?

Should officers have this non-lethal gun as an first option to stop a suspect?

This is a works from up to 60ft. And fires a small pepper ball.  

Posted - June 10, 2020

Responses

Cool. If a criminal used one, though, he would get shot with real bullets.
      June 10, 2020 7:03 AM MDT

I am going to say no! There's too much propensity for it to be misused - a suspect... an almost suspect, will save me having to speak to the person to find out what's going on, I can just assume.. 

And as we know some races are going to end up on the receiving end more than others.. I cite, black men are more likely to be stopped and searched, this is just going to make that easier. 

It's non-lethal supposedly but to some it will be lethal, those with heart conditions, and other med conditions, old people.. and so on

Also - part of the current accusation against American police is that they are too violent.. 
      June 10, 2020 1:53 PM MDT

So just stay with real bullets then?
      June 10, 2020 7:15 PM MDT

Eeeeeeeeeeeek!!!! And I am sure you knew I'd say that! It's incredible and unimaginable to me. I really would hate it. Of course, I don't live where you live, things seem more drastic and more violent there and perhaps were I there, I might feel differently.. I don't know
      June 12, 2020 12:20 PM MDT

What do you propose they use when force is required?
      June 12, 2020 12:50 PM MDT

It's an entirely different set up here and a different ethos. We are much stronger on human rights, civil rights. I really can't comment on what happens there.. It's not my place to propose anything.. it's not an area I am sufficiently knowledgeable about. I would love to see a time when police officers are way less brutal and more respectful when stopping and searching/arresting. We do have tasers and rubber bullets and such like here. This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at June 12, 2020 2:01 PM MDT
      June 12, 2020 1:27 PM MDT

it wouldnt be a bad idea
      June 13, 2020 2:50 PM MDT