Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Aunt Jemima" is going away as the "FACE" of a pancake syrup. It will come back rebranded. Why did it take so long?

"Aunt Jemima" is going away as the "FACE" of a pancake syrup. It will come back rebranded. Why did it take so long?

Posted - June 17, 2020

Responses

Somebody was probably offended by the "KFC + Aunt Jemima" commercial.
    Mixing of the races, and all that.

LOL
      June 17, 2020 1:42 PM MDT

You are teasing aren't you Walt? You know what though? When I was a little kid there was a kid's book called "Little Black Sambo". I don't know if you've heard of it but I think I had that book. I grew up seeing movies of African Americans being shown as servants or slow-witted incompetents or the comic relief and never thought anything about it. It was just part of the culture and the way things were. Even in junior college I remember being conscious of being stared at when a friend and I were sitting at a table in the local hangout near Pasadena City College just having a cup of coffee. Yes. He was African American and it made me feel uncomfortable that people would be staring at us. That was then...decades ago. As you get older you should become more aware of your surroundings and as you "mature" you have to develop a set of values. What is right and what is wrong. Of course you can't develop them for others. Just for yourself. I remember when President Obama was elected the first time I cried. Tears of joy I think or relief or hope that maybe now things would be different. I remember the camera panning over the audience or supporters who were with him when he won and I remember seeing Oprah Winfrey's face bathed in tears among others. Tears of joy I suspect because what I was feeling she was feeling 100 times more. Yet here we are today. Nothing changed at all. His election fired up the racist hate base to the extent that they elected another racist who hated President Obama specifically to speak for them. Well they couldn't have elected a more evil cruel disgusting racist than trump. They are triumphant in their victory so much so it OOZES out of them. On to another 4 years of race-based hate. I can hardly wait. You? :( This post was edited by RosieG at June 18, 2020 3:50 AM MDT
      June 18, 2020 3:47 AM MDT

I heard on NPR the other day, interviews with blacks in the MidEast.
    It's still common there to have actors using black-face, rather than hire black actors.
    And until the protests spread world-wide, most Arabs claimed that racism was a "western thing" and didn't exist over there.
      June 18, 2020 6:54 AM MDT

SERIOUSLY Walt? Black actors have to see non-blacked using blackface to play roles they could play without using such insulting "makeup"? I never thought that the MidEast was a hotbed of intelligence. This nails it. That's terrible. So insulting. Of course in America we had minstrel shows and Eddie Cantor blackfaced and Al Jolson blackfaced way back then. I was a kid and thought nothing of it. We watch old movies on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) and some of them make me CRINGE. The way African Americans were portrayed back then...by African American actors many of whom were probably far more intelligent than the actors surrounding them. I thought we had  come a long way. I thought wrong. I just saw  a clip of a very thoughtful African American talking about what it's like to be incarcerated just because you're black. Who was it? The man who was most recently murdered by a cop who shot him TWICE in the back as he was running away having no lethal weapon and being no threat. I don't know the circumstances of why there was such a clip but I"m glad I saw it. An articulate thoughtful man was murdered for no reason. Just being a bystander observer which is all that I am is exhausting and very sad. I can't even almost imagine LIVING the reality of it. Over and over and over and over again. Thank you for sharing that info Walt. I guess we see what we want to see and perceive only as much as we can handle to fit in with our preconceived views. We dare not stretch for fear of finding out unsavory things about ourselves. So we don't. :( This post was edited by RosieG at June 18, 2020 7:11 AM MDT
      June 18, 2020 7:09 AM MDT

I'm curious, I wonder how many of the people, who want Aunt Jemima gone, used the syrup over the years, and still do? And, I wonder how many of those same people will continue to use the syrup after the logo and name are changed? I always thought Aunt Jemima Syrup was delicious. Will changing the logo and name somehow make it taste even better? I don't think so. As with far too many other things, this too has been politicized. Such a shame.
      June 17, 2020 2:04 PM MDT

I'll bet it will be less expensive for the manufacturer, to change the shape of the bottle.  LOL
      June 17, 2020 2:37 PM MDT

• Well, well, well, the beat goes on. The timid and teary eyed, hand wringing enemies of free speech and thought on the American landscape who fear pancake bottles, Elmer Fudd's rifle, various statues and monuments, keep dragging a once great nation down the drain. Sorta makes one wonder how the Hell we won WWII or put men on the moon in our storied history. (A history that's being erased from places of honor daily) Personally, I've NEVER used any type or brand of syrup, so this doesn't create a problem for me. I'm glad that these trembling and frightened appeasers of thugs have shown the extent of their cowardice so that I won't make the mistake of purchasing any of their other products. 
      June 17, 2020 3:24 PM MDT

I do not know, and have not personally experienced, the possible extent of racism. I sort of assume there may be sometimes even little details and signs that I would not know because I've not walked in others' shoes.

Unlike some others who have answered your question thus far, I do not know everything.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 18, 2020 8:04 AM MDT
      June 18, 2020 7:10 AM MDT