Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » There is something intimate about watching someone apply their makeup, isn't there?

There is something intimate about watching someone apply their makeup, isn't there?

It's a very personal thing, and an art if you let it be. How you apply, the products you use, how much or how little, right down to the order you apply them are all up to the individual.
There's something special about being allowed to watch someone sitting in front of their mirror, looking into it intently, as they follow their rituals. You learn many little secrets. 
AudreyHepburn

Posted - October 4, 2016

Responses

it is, isn't it? I think it's something about watching the process of a person covering up their real face to the one they show everyone else... Like a reminder that you are privy to the face under that makeup.
      October 4, 2016 2:28 AM MDT

• I don't wear make-up.
    Can't bare the feel or smell of it.
    I like my skin to feel the air.
    Have quite enjoyed the rare occasions I have watched actors applying make-up before a show.
    What I find fascinating is how they create the illusions and transform the image of their character.
      October 4, 2016 3:09 AM MDT

• I wonder if the actors make up is for then or for us? Maybe it's so they can believe in their transformation?
      October 4, 2016 4:30 AM MDT

• Could be both I suppose.
    In the rare instances in which I was an actor, my character came from feeling the role on the inside, changing my "identity" through imagination and empathy.
      October 4, 2016 10:42 PM MDT

• I've never acted but know some and I hear what you are saying ... I do believe it comes from inside the actor hence my thought ... Part of the role of the make up is to let the actor believe in their character ... I saw on one actor's mirror a hand written note ..."I am Javert ... I love the law" ... It was he's little helper of inspiration :)
      October 4, 2016 10:53 PM MDT

Meh. I've never even thought about this, and in reading your post, I mulled it over and decided that the concept of watching a woman apply her makeup does nothing for me. I'm more of a fan of natural beauty than I am of makeup. 
    Now if the conversation were to focus on watching a woman fix her hair, that's something that could mesmerize me for hours.  Heck, all a woman has to do is reach up and touch her hair and I can't tear my eyes away. 

~
      October 4, 2016 7:06 AM MDT

I see women putting on their makeup on the bus in the mornings, and I can't help but think, You look fine without all that sh*t on your face. I think of the money and time and thought they spend on it, where the products come from, and how much waste it creates. Hmm. I don't like the idea of people being mannequins, something to look at, trying to look like they just walked out of a catalog, trying to impress one another with appearances, accessories, superficiality. I respect the courtesy for basic hygiene, but beyond that, there is no need for all those products, nor the need to craft an artificial persona. People say it's an art, or they somehow get personal enjoyment from it, but is that really it? Or is it social pressures, capitalism, false realities, oppression? -- I'm kind of disgusted by makeup... I'm a skeptic, I know. But I won't waste my time and money on something so cosmetic. 

I do understand the intimacy of personal care, though, especially if I can be part of it, too. There is nothing like a hot shower with my boyfriend, watching the way he cares for himself, carefully attending to every inch of his body, then sharing himself with me. There really is nothing more private, personal, and intimate than being alone with someone in such a way. 
      October 4, 2016 8:46 PM MDT

I guess you could say it's 'kinda intimate' but I enjoy......but then, I'm a retired makeup artist.

I have see photos of famous ladies applying their makeup and it's always interesting.....wish I could be there to see WHAT they are using and HOW they use it, close up!!!  what a treat that'd be!!!!

as for 'no makeup'........I never understood why so many men/women dislike it........when it's applied correctly, and not overdone, it does nothing but enhance the face of the wearer;  and that's all it's supposed to do.

many ladies use a makeup  base to make it look like they have a tan.......WRONG!! it never looks realistic and they always have a line on their jawine, where they didn't blend it in.

anyway, for those of you ladies who hate it, you have that right......But I've never seen any lady who didn't look at least a little better, if using nothing more than some lipcolor and blush....at the very least!!!!!!!!!
      November 6, 2016 12:36 PM MST

Yup

amanda lepore makeup GIF
      August 12, 2018 11:40 AM MDT