Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Business » At one time a few decades back, the US was the major manufacturer of goods and products, much like China is now.

At one time a few decades back, the US was the major manufacturer of goods and products, much like China is now.

When that was happening, was there widespread resentment in some countries against the producing power of the US?  If so, which countries led the outcry?

~

Posted - June 23, 2020

Responses

Wasn't resentment I don't think,  rather it was because 'stuff' could be manufactured cheaper (and, 'course lower quality) in China. The wholesale buyers/suppliers could make more money. 

I remember when I was a kid I noticed 'everything'  was made in USA.  Made in USA. What the hull!? Can't anything be made in Canada? 
    Then years later now 'everything' is made in China. Much worse quality. Gadgets/tools, toys break, bend or do not even function. Pots and pans leak etc.

Kick out that Chinese crap and get USA  manufacturing back in business! i guess Canada cannot really compete.
      June 23, 2020 12:11 PM MDT

At the time, I don’t think other countries cared that much.  Most were poor, had limited resources (some from wars), or they were communist (a condition which the US abhorred).  Once the US found it could make mote money by importing things, it abandoned US made stuff.

As I recall, a "few" decades ago, a majority of imported items were made in Japan, not China.  And people complained about their poor quality.

June 23, 2020 2:09 PM MDT