Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are there rallies for anything other than political campaigns? Ever attended any rally? What was it like?

Are there rallies for anything other than political campaigns? Ever attended any rally? What was it like?

I did once upon a time decades ago. It was for a politician whose face I can see in my mind by whose name I don't recall. I was dating a guy at the time who was a fan so we went. I'm not one who enjoys being in large crowds and this one was very large but it was held outdoors at the Coliseum so I didn't get that awful feeling I usually get in closed rooms with lots of people. Being out in the open helps a lot. I kept looking at my watch to see how much longer it would be before it would be over. I'm not a rallygoer I guess. I was bored. The crowd was very hyper and cheering. I was bored. When I think of rallies I think of being bored since it was my only experience being at one!

Posted - June 25, 2020

Responses

I guess I could claim a company picnic was a "rally" ... it was allegedly to reward us for finishing the conference season, and boost our morale as employees who stayed all year.  Of course, they had speeches by all the upper management - and the employees just wanted our food and games.

lol
      June 25, 2020 7:43 AM MDT

You know what Walt? I attended my then-husband's (my son's dad) company picnic many decades ago and we had so much fun! The guys got together and played baseball. There were clowns to amuse the kids and hot dogs and burgers and ice cream and popcorn. We moms just enjoyed kicking back relaxing and watching our husbands play and our kids have fun as we munched away on food we didn't have to prepare or clean up after...a real joy that!

In fact I remember everything was so peacefully calm I wandered off alone and found a nice grassy place to lie down and just look up at the sky and see what shapes I could find up there. Just for awhile. Maybe 20 minutes. It was like an oasis of peace. I have never done that before as an adult anywhere and why I did it then and there I don't know but it's a great memory. Thanks for reminding me of that. I think it's the only company picnic I ever attended. Wherever I worked we'd have company parties or outings but no picnics! Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 25, 2020 7:55 AM MDT
      June 25, 2020 7:53 AM MDT

Papal youth rally in 1986. Anticlimactic, tbh.

My wife is also a race official at off-road car races, also called rallies. Not my cup of tea, but she enjoys them. She's also a track marshal at Adelaide's major street race - that one I go to. Not for the race cars, but the after-race concerts. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at June 25, 2020 7:56 AM MDT
      June 25, 2020 7:50 AM MDT

Wow! So she is definitely a PEOPLE PERSON then isn't she R? Did she ever drive a race car or want to? If you are a track marshal what does that mean exactly? Does she enforce rules? Can she arrest people? I guess I'm not sure what a marshal does. And you have after-race concerts? What kind of music? A whole new dimension of your life you just shared. Sounds very nifty to me. My long-ago ex was into dragsters so my experience at car races is strictly with dragsters. Thank you for your reply. Say hi to Maureen for me please if you think she wouldn't think I'm being too pushy! :)
      June 25, 2020 8:00 AM MDT

Never a race driver, but she does the timekeeping and assists with road closures, waves warning flags, does crowd control, helps injured drivers, pushes wrecks off the track out of danger, signals towies etc.
    The post-race entertainment over four days consists of varying genres, but at least one evening is retro rock 'n' roll. That's the one I'm at. I've seen Mental As Anything, Cold Chisel, Status Quo, Leo Sayer, Mötley Crüe, The Church, Icehouse and even KISS. I wouldn't waste my money on a KISS record, but I'd mortgage my eye teeth to see them play live again - they were never about the music, they're about the show.
      June 25, 2020 8:13 AM MDT

Oh my goodness R! SERIOUSLY you have seen those groups entertain AFTER the races? I just got goosebumps! Go figger! Well when we had drag races back in the late 60's on the east coast there was no entertainment afterwards. Never attended any races in California so I don't know if there is any kind of entertainment. But the entertainment you've had is not the local kids wanting to make a name for themselves. Very classy. That crowd control part makes me uneasy. Rowdies are kinda dangerous. Any booze there so what she would have to deal with would be drunks? Anyway I'm very impressed. Not my cuppa tea. She is some gal! Thank you for expanding on your reply. LUCKY YOU! :)
      June 25, 2020 8:21 AM MDT