Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Those with "successful" relationships of 10+ years: How similar are your values/ opinions to your significant other's?

Those with "successful" relationships of 10+ years: How similar are your values/ opinions to your significant other's?

I'm mostly curious to know if people with vastly different ways of viewing the world ever have happy long-term relationships. i.e. people of different religions, people from different political parties, etc.

And, if they do, how they navigate those differences. 

Posted - July 1, 2020

Responses

My wife and I, even though born in different countries, raised in different circumstances, grew up in vastly different societies, are amazingly in step on morals, values, politics, etc.  In our case, this marriage‘s foundation was not rooted in a long courtship that allowed us to get to know each other and ascertain ahead of time that we clicked on those issues, it’s just worked out that way. 

Great question; I look forward to others’ answers to. 

~

July 1, 2020 11:31 PM MDT

I forgot to add that my wife and I share the same tastes in music at about a 90% rate with each other. 

~

July 7, 2020 1:54 PM MDT

Our values are similar and we laugh at the same things. Our interests, however, differ widely. That's important - if we were too alike, we'd repel each other.
      July 2, 2020 4:07 AM MDT

Ari and I have now clocked up 36 years.
    We met at the birthday party of a mutual friend and had a conversation about Vipassana and Theravadin Buddhism, which established that we shared similar values within the first few minutes.
    I think it's been one of the defining factors in why and how we've survived together.
      July 2, 2020 1:33 PM MDT

Very similar. Even more so as we have gotten older.   We each used to be more liberal when we were younger. 
    Out taste in food is also very similar. 

I think it comes down to if a couple can agree to disagree. Without making comments about the other side.
    Personally I do not know any couples who are opposites in terms of values/religion/politics who has made it very long. 
      July 7, 2020 12:36 PM MDT