Active Now

my2cents
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Young folks say they can change the country. Unless they get up off their butts and vote nothing will change. Do you vote or just buttsit?

Young folks say they can change the country. Unless they get up off their butts and vote nothing will change. Do you vote or just buttsit?

Posted - July 6, 2020

Responses

It amazes me how many people gripe and complain about government, and yet won’t vote.  Everyone has the right to complain, but if one isn’t willing to try and “fix” the situation, then their complaining is moot.   In this country, the way to “fix” things is to vote.  No, you may not get your way, but at least you can say you tried.  If one never tries, one will never succeed.  (kwitchyerbellyakin and go vote!)

July 6, 2020 1:16 PM MDT

I second third fourth and fifth that Shuhak! Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      July 7, 2020 2:28 AM MDT

I vote....if I care about the outcome.  My local stuff I generally do not care.
    I do vote on local issues (taxes/amendments etc) on  state and national general and primaries elections.
      July 6, 2020 4:49 PM MDT

I've voted in every general election since I was 18.  I didn't start voting in primaries until 2016.  I voted in the 2016 Democratic primary because there was still a choice between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton but Donald Trump was the only one left in the Republican primary so that's why I voted in the Democratic primary.

I voted in the Republican primary this year because Joe Biden was the only one left but what I found out is that primaries really are that important if you live in a place with one-party rule like I do.  If you live in a place with Democratic one-party rule I think you really need to vote in the Democratic primary and if you live in a place with Republican one-party rule then I think you really need to vote in the Republican primary.  I switched my party affiliation to Republican because the state assembly person for my district is a real clown and he was up for primary.

I had an epic battle with my mom over this.  She's upset that I became a Republican and voted in the primary because the politician who I think is a clown is a hero to my mom.  Anyway, the clown, or the hero if you're my mom, easily won the primary but at least I didn't help him with that.

This post was edited by Livvie at July 8, 2020 3:42 PM MDT
      July 6, 2020 7:06 PM MDT

That makes good sense m'dear. Years ago there were Republicans I would have voted for but the party was very different then. There were many good women and men in it then. The way it has devolved into a zit on the butt of trump makes me very sad. It's said that "all politics are local". Of course you have to decide based on who is running and what kind of record he/she has. There are jerks among Democrats. The only good Republicans these days call themselves "former" or switched to Independent since trump defiled the entire party by making it in his horrible disgusting terrible image. Just my opinion of course Liv. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. You offered the "why" and I always appreciate knowing that! Happy Tuesday! :)
      July 7, 2020 2:38 AM MDT

Voting is compulsory in Australia.
      July 8, 2020 1:29 AM MDT

Another reason why I admire Aussies. After all being a citizen requires so very little. Getting off your butt (even if only figuratively because you vote by mail) and spending the time to investigate and then actually fill out the ballot isn't that hard. Does not require genius. Just a love of country. Voting by mail affords fewer ways to cheat methinks. Do machines do all the counting in your country R? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee and thine. :)
      July 8, 2020 3:24 AM MDT

Votes are counted by flesh and blood human beings - a necessity with preferential voting, machines can have difficulty with some people's handwriting. In the case of a disputed vote (parties employ voluntary scrutineers in each booth, I'm one), such votes are referred to the Office of Disputed Returns. Very rarely (I'm tempted to say never) are there enough if these to affect the result. Preregistered postal votes are available but only on request.
    Some disinterested voters either drop an unfilled ballot paper in the box, or write the name of a non-candidate etc. Such votes are "informal" and don't count. There's also the "donkey vote" where a voter simply numbers the boxes from top to bottom in sequential order without paying attention to which candidate's name or party is printed adjacent to the box. For this reason, the order of candidates is random.
      July 8, 2020 5:38 AM MDT

I certainly trust you to do fair proper true count R. But desperate republicans? No way in he** will any of them do a fair true count that goes against the trump. So I worry. I have no idea how the election will turn since I know it will be rigged blown up ground up pulverized annihilated drowned crucified set on fire infected shot poisoned. The first election in history that didn't count? Hopefully that riff will not come to pass. Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 8, 2020 6:20 AM MDT

But how is that freedom of choice and how does it work? If voting is a civil right, doesn't that imply that people also have the right to choose not to vote?
      July 8, 2020 5:11 AM MDT

Those who choose not to may simply drop an unfilled ballot paper into the box - it's an "informal" vote and doesn't count.
    The idea behind compulsory voting is to prevent anyone from influencing an election by getting out their own vote and none other.
      July 8, 2020 5:29 AM MDT