Active Now

my2cents
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How much time do you like to allow between waking up and needing to leave your home?

How much time do you like to allow between waking up and needing to leave your home?

I wake up no less than 90 minutes before I need to leave the house. I can't tolerate being rushed in the morning.  

**This question inspired by Randy D** https://answermug.com/forums/topic/110994/what-was-the-most-recent-planned-event-you-missed-because-you-go

Posted - July 7, 2020

Responses

Half an hour works for me.
      July 7, 2020 7:26 PM MDT

Nice. 

I feel like the older I get, the more time I need to wake up sufficiently and prepare for the day. If I live to be 80, I'll probably just never sleep at all (or never get out of bed).  
      July 7, 2020 7:33 PM MDT

Military training. However, I now only leave the house a couple of times each week since I only have a short part-time job.
      July 8, 2020 8:25 AM MDT

About a half an hour for me on a good day.
      July 7, 2020 7:39 PM MDT

I don't know how you do it. I need at least that for coffee-drinking alone! 
      July 7, 2020 7:54 PM MDT

At least an hour.
      July 7, 2020 7:42 PM MDT

I can manage an hour if I don't have to shower, but even then I feel rushed. I prefer to wake up 2 full hours before I need to leave the house. 
      July 7, 2020 7:56 PM MDT

If i remember it correctly, I once did it in 3 minutes. It wasn't fun. But, usually, I take 30 - 45 minutes. 
      July 7, 2020 8:11 PM MDT

Wow! I know people who are like that all the time. They literally get up 5 minutes before they have to leave. 

I have anxiety about oversleeping. It probably borders on a genuine phobia. If I have to be somewhere important early in the morning, I have a terrible time going to sleep. Sometimes I don't even go to sleep at all, no kidding. It's not cool. 
      July 7, 2020 8:19 PM MDT

I know what you mean. I used to have nightmares about missing the bus quite regularly. lol 

You could try melatonin to help you fall sleep if you're having trouble. It doesn't work for me though. 
      July 7, 2020 8:23 PM MDT

"It doesn't work for me though"..LMAO!

I tried it a few years ago and it doesn't work for me, either. Not that it didn't help me get to sleep, I had nightmares and it affected my mood negatively. 

Recently, I've started taking a couple of other supplements that seem to be working okay for me. One is called 5-HTP and the other is Ashwagandha. I haven't noticed any negative side effects, and my sleep seems a bit better. 
      July 8, 2020 6:26 PM MDT

I get up around 4:30 AM
    and am ready to leave the house at 8:30 Am
       Exercises, shower, breakfast, take care of cat,
    Morning Trump Lies on TV, sometimes washing
    yesterday's dishes...
    ...If I push it then 8 am.
    So, minimum 3 1/2 Hrs 
    comfortably 4 Hrs. HaHa This post was edited by Baba at July 8, 2020 6:26 PM MDT
      July 7, 2020 8:50 PM MDT

I can dig it! 
      July 8, 2020 6:27 PM MDT

Three hours.  I stay in bed an hour after I wake.  I enjoy it but there is a physiological reason too.  I also like to have a couple cups of coffee between my shower and actually getting dressed. 
      July 7, 2020 9:29 PM MDT

Right on! 

My bladder boots me out of bed almost immediately upon waking, but I love days when I can crawl right back in after that. 
      July 8, 2020 6:32 PM MDT

• I prefer at least an hour. I need to take a shower and have something to eat and do this all without rushing. I prefer 2 hours, if possible. 
      July 7, 2020 11:12 PM MDT

I find 2 hours to be just about perfect for me! Rushing around in the morning is not for me, either. 
      July 8, 2020 9:35 PM MDT

Thank you for the nod, and this is a great question!

Having newly recently begun early retirement, I’m responding based on my previous years of working life. Of course, spanning decades, and in various venues and permeations, a single answer doesn’t encompass all of those situations. For instance, when in the Marine Corps as I was from age 18 into my thirties, one simply does not lolligag at reveille. I’ll use my most recent job as my answer here. 

It was normal for me to allow myself at least 120 minutes to prepare for leaving the house without rushing myself. There were instances wherein I altered that about 15 minutes on either side of the equation depending on particular circumstances of that day. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 8, 2020 6:33 PM MDT
      July 7, 2020 11:19 PM MDT

Thank you for the inspiration! 

I like how you always include "early" when speaking of your recent retirement. 

I don't think I realized you're a Marine. Interesting...

~
      July 8, 2020 6:37 PM MDT

Some people here in the US (myself included) generally associate the word “retirement” with “age 65” because it’s the age that many people retire. I am much younger than that, so I make sure to include that qualifier, lol.

Let there be no mistake: I’m not quite ready to be designated as Grandpa Randolph like this fellow . . . 

~

July 8, 2020 8:14 PM MDT

You do not have to be in your 60s to be a Grandpa. 
      July 8, 2020 8:21 PM MDT

You’re absolutely right, being a grandparent doesn’t have to mean people are in their sixties, and there are grandparents who are much younger than that by decades. I’m just clarifying that I’m neither a grandfather nor am I in my sixties. 

~

July 9, 2020 7:28 AM MDT

I'm just messing with you. It seems unlikely that I'll be able to retire early, but if I happen to, I'm pretty sure I'll qualify to occasion, too! 

I'm thrilled with the prospect of becoming a grandmother. I've even spent a fair amount of time thinking about what I'd like my "grandma" name to be! 

Grandpa Randolph is still a nice-looking man! Is he seeing anybody???

:P
      July 8, 2020 9:32 PM MDT

Ok, Savvy, quit chasing Grandpa around the couch! You know how his heart is!  Lol!
    ~

July 9, 2020 7:30 AM MDT