Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Take my poll, please! How do you hold your knife and fork? I WTK!

Take my poll, please! How do you hold your knife and fork? I WTK!

The inspiration for this poll is the guy who was sitting two seats away when my hubby and I went out for breakfast this morning.  He was sitting two seats away cos yeah, every other table is blocked off.  Anyway, my husband and I are both righties who keep our forks in our left hands and our knives in our right hands throughout the duration of our meals but the guy sitting two seats away noticed this and asked if we were both left-handed.  I shall use the results of this poll to determine if my husband and I have been eating backwards all this time, but we're probably not going to change.

1. I'm a righty and I keep my fork in my left hand and my knife in my right hand throughout the duration of my meal.

2. I'm a righty and I keep my fork in my right hand and my knife in my left hand throughout the duration of my meal.

3. I'm a righty and I cut with my right hand, then I set the knife down, then I pick up the fork with my right hand, then I take a bite, then I set the fork down and pick the knife back up to repeat the whole process.

4. I'm a lefty and I keep my fork in my right hand and my knife in my left hand throughout the duration of my meal.

5. I'm a lefty and I keep my fork in my left hand and my knife in my right hand throughout the duration of my meal.

6. I'm a lefty and I cut with my left hand, then I set the knife down, then I pick up the fork with my left hand, then I take a bite, then I set the fork down and pick the knife back up to repeat the whole process.

7.  I only use chopsticks.

8.  I'm on a permanent juice diet.

9.  I'm in the hospital and I'm on a feeding tube right now.

10.  Somebody else feeds me.

11.  I'm a vampire so I just walk up behind people to suck the blood right out of them.

12.  I think I got everything but if I'm missing something, let me know, please.

Posted - July 9, 2020

Responses

6. Is closest. Except that I cut the entire meal then put the knife down and move the fork to my left hand. 
      July 9, 2020 6:52 AM MDT

I never would've thought that people would do it that way.  I just learned something new!  Yay!  Maybe I need to watch more people eat, lol.

July 9, 2020 6:54 AM MDT

Yeah, right.  Now she’s going all bug-eyed at restaurants and making other diners uncomfortable, folks. And she accuses me of being the sicko. [Insert eye-roll here.]

July 9, 2020 8:11 AM MDT

I had to alter it a bit (big surprise, Randy D just has to be different) because it isn’t quite accurate a description of my m.o. in using utensils.

3a (modified) I'm right-handed, I hold a fork or spoon in my right hand to eat. When it comes time to cut any food that requires a knife, I switch the fork to my left hand and take the knife in my right hand. Then, depending on what I’m cutting, how many pieces of it I have cut, and/or whether or not I will be completing that particular food item before returning to anything else on that plate, I will either keep the knife in my right hand and eat the food with the fork on my left hand, or I will put the knife down, return the fork to my right hand.  Unlike some your of your choices that state it stays one particular way throughout the entire meal, I change it up.

So to summarize, I’m sure your husband is a fine fellow, a great guy, and I know less of him than I do if you, which means that it’s quaint when he does it but in your case, you’re as backward as can be and should be committed the a better mental facility than the ones from which you have previously been discharged. I want my tildes back, too, by the way. [Disclaimer: My answer is not based on any bitterness at all. Grrrrrr.]

~

July 9, 2020 8:09 AM MDT

That's too complicated.
      July 9, 2020 10:46 AM MDT

Jealous.
    ~

July 9, 2020 11:04 AM MDT

*trying it your complicated way*

Oh ****!

*food goes flying across room*

Umm, sorry about that.  I sure hope you can get that stain out!
      July 11, 2020 5:02 AM MDT

yore crazee   
      the way U rote your description field ,U stated moore then wunz “throughout the entire meal”. It seemed the issue in kwerstion is what peepul dew win thay CUT FOOD WITH A KNIFE. Wheel, few peepul keep the knife in hand during the entire meal, and/or keep the fork in the same hand during the entire meal when they use that hand to hold the knife. As such, your write-up was a bit confusing. 

Your blaming us, the victims.

:(

July 11, 2020 3:48 PM MDT

A solid 5. I don't understand 3 and 6. Why would one do that? It seems like a waste of time.
    Oh..sometimes I'll pick it up with my fingers or shovel it into my mouth right from the plate. (Two you forgot.).
      July 9, 2020 10:51 AM MDT

My dad yelled at me for doing number three when I was a kid but a lot of people do it that way.

This post was edited by Livvie at July 11, 2020 4:40 PM MDT
      July 11, 2020 4:57 AM MDT

A lot of what do it that way?

July 11, 2020 3:49 PM MDT

I fixtered it.
      July 11, 2020 4:41 PM MDT

I was going to say “11”, but that might scare a few away (probably not my type anyway).  Some people are already a bit suspicious because I always tell the chef to hold the garlic.

So...

13. I am right handed.  I keep my fork in my right hand only when using it.  If I need to cut something, I switch the forth to my left hand and cut with the knife in my right hand (using the times of the fork as a cutting guide).  When I finish cutting, I place the knife across the top of the plate and continue eating with my fork (or spoon) in my right hand.

July 9, 2020 12:42 PM MDT

You must be starving!  It must be tough for vampires right now with social distancing and having to stay six feet way from their next meals and all!
      July 11, 2020 4:53 AM MDT

Didn't you wonder why they keep saying there's a shortage of blood at the blood banks lately?
      July 11, 2020 11:07 AM MDT

I can’t find my option unless I’m missing seeing It. Righty, fork in right hand, cut with left hand but I don’t keep my knife in my left hand while I eat. I only pick it up when need it. 
      July 9, 2020 5:12 PM MDT

That’s how I am too. 

~

July 9, 2020 5:30 PM MDT

I really can’t think of a time I’ve seen someone hold a knife in their hand through out their whole meal. I might just not be paying attention to that though, not sure. 
      July 9, 2020 5:40 PM MDT

I got confused.  I eat with my fingers. 
      July 9, 2020 10:12 PM MDT

This is making me think about Kentucky Fried Chicken right now.
      July 11, 2020 5:00 AM MDT