Active Now

Shuhak
Randy D
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Family » How does being sent away to boarding school or military school affect a child? Isn't it usually done to discippline? Isn't it a rejection?

How does being sent away to boarding school or military school affect a child? Isn't it usually done to discippline? Isn't it a rejection?

Have any of you ever been sent away to school when you were young? Leaving home for college voluntarily is one thing. Being sent away is another thing entirely. How much damage can being sent away to school do to a child's ability to trust the parents or feel loved by them?

Posted - October 6, 2016

Responses

• IDK, but when I was a child I begged and pleaded to be sent to one.  
      October 6, 2016 4:57 AM MDT

You did? I'm not talking about  Summer Camp for a few weeks. I'm talking about living away from home for years. You begged/pleaded for that that? Was home so intolerable to you Glis? Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      October 6, 2016 10:13 AM MDT

• Non my homelife was average over all.  Above average in some areas in fact.
    No I was young and just knew that kids in Military school and boarding schools got their own dorms and it looked like a sense of freedom to me.   Plus, with military school going on survival exercises and learning rifle marksmanship in gym class looked a lot more interesting and fun than kickball and basketball.

I just had this romantic and lofty idea of what it would be like that wasn't really rooted in reality. All I knew was I hated going to the Catholic school I attended.  (Really I hated school period I would later find out.) Also when I was younger I thought I was going to join the military at 18.
      October 6, 2016 10:21 AM MDT

Oh I see Glis. You're the adventurous/adventuresome type clearly! Not me. I loved home and going away would have been devastating to me. Of course I was a painfully shy child so going someplace where I knew no one? Might just as well send me to he**. I would have been seriously traumatized. Thank you for your clarification and further reply. Now I understand! :) Oh. I always loved school! I thought summer vacations would never end. I always loved learning about things I didn't know. It was the social aspect of school that I wasn't very good at doing.:)
      October 7, 2016 4:56 AM MDT

My brothers both went to a religious boarding school for high school because the most important thing to mom was her kids having the best Christian education.  I went to public high school.  Dad refused to send me to the Christian boarding school.  So, how does it affect children?  I still remember mom and dad arguing about it.  Dad's exact words were "**** it, they already ****ed two of my kids and they're not going to **** up the third!  Mom wasn't happy.

My dad almost never cusses but when he does you'll remember exactly what he said forever.  That was one of only two times he ever used swear words.

Anyway, when my oldest brother (actually my half brother) came back from school he brought some bad habits home with him.  He became a complete slob.  He walked around the house all day in his football jersey and his boxer shorts because apparently that was acceptable in the dorm.  He didn't do laundry either because at boarding school he was one of the popular kids and the cool kids walked around the dorm in their football jerseys and boxer shorts and never washed their clothes.

My own brother wasn't one of the cool kids there.  He was the most unpopular kid there according to their official ranking.  They kept track of unpopularity rankings and they let the unpopular kids know exactly where they stood.  They did things like breaking into his room and going to the bathroom (#2) in his clothes drawers.

My brother did have friends.  He hung out with the townies.  Towny was their word for kids that went to the public high school in the place where the boarding school was.  My brother's way of escaping the misery was hanging out in his friend's attic and smoking pot with them.

I remember the day he graduated.  We drove there to pick him up.  He was a little late for his graduation and he smelled really funny.  He was kind of in a haze because he was up late at his friends' house which he actually was never supposed to be doing.  On the drive home him and dad didn't say anything and we stopped at the restaurant we always did on the way back.  My brother sat at the table and ordered enough food too feed a small army.  Dad looked at him funny and my brother said "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse!"  Then dad yelled "I'll bet you are!"

Other people were looking at us and snickering.

[grammar edit]

This post was edited by Livvie at October 6, 2016 6:44 PM MDT
      October 6, 2016 6:08 AM MDT

This is so sad Liv. If it were a movie I'd probably be tearing up or crying. How cruel kids can be! Thank you for your thoughtful and informative sharing of your experiences in response to my question. I appreciate it so much that you took the time to describe real-life experiences in such detail. There is never anything better than that! Happy Thursday! :)
      October 6, 2016 10:16 AM MDT

In the old days it was rich people and the military who sent their offspring to single sex boarding schools. As a nod to the school's charitable origins, some children of the clergy and less pecunious scholars like myself were admitted.

It made sense for the former groups who would appreciate the discipline being instilled. Being useful to the school's academic reputation I was well enough treated.  

My granddad feared that it was a coping strategy by my mother, as he had fallen ill with prostrate cancer and she was having to look after him.

As for the present day situation, where single sex education is no longer in fashion, you'd have to get the current  generation to respond. To judge by a recent visit back, they do seem to be thriving.

October 6, 2016 9:34 AM MDT

Had I been sent away from home it would have crushed me. That anyone can not only survive but thrive in that environment shocks me.  Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It is very helpful to hear "from the horse's mouth" so to speak.  Happy Thursday Malizz! :)
      October 6, 2016 10:19 AM MDT

It depends on the situation.  There are some kids that need the extra structure and discipline.  It's not something any parent should do lightly and of course the program has to fit the needs of the child.
      October 6, 2016 10:19 AM MDT

I would have been crushed and frightened had I been sent away from home to an unknown  environment. I was a painfully shy child. It might have destroyed me. If home is so awful that anything is better then I guess people can survive/thrive. But if home is your comfort zone because  you are surrounded by all you've known then I think sending children away is cruel. Thank you for your reply PeaPod and Happy Thursday! :)
      October 6, 2016 10:23 AM MDT

OK, as a hearing deficiency meant that I was a bit shy, I do have some understanding of what would have been an initial reaction, and it may well have felt a bit cruel.  However I suspect that you underestimate your resilience, and that the more probable eventual outcome would be for you to emerge stronger for the experience.
      October 6, 2016 12:27 PM MDT

Now that is a very kind thing to tell me Malizz. I appreciate it. Whether your confidence would be borne out had I been tested I don't honestly know. But I like to think you're right and  I thank for your answer! Happy Friday m'dear! :)
      October 7, 2016 4:58 AM MDT

Oh sweetie, this would not be an option for a child that is just shy.  This would be an option for a kid headed for trouble and defiant and dangerous in the household.  There are some kids that really need a strict environment that not all parents can provide for their needs. 

I absolutely would see this as a last ditch effort, not a first.
      October 6, 2016 9:50 PM MDT

I read that Trump was a kid who got into trouble in school so his dad sent him away to military school to "straighten him out". I don't know if it straightened him out or bent him but I just wondered if that experience affected how Trump is? He is so needy for approval all the time. The tiniest bit of criticism seems to send him off the deep end and maybe being rejected by his dad at the age of 13 was what pushed him?  I have no idea of course.  I put myself in his place and  knew that I would have just fallen apart.  I read up about it and he seemed to do well in that environment. So maybe he'd be a worse person had he not been sent to military school. We can never know that! Thank you for your thoughtful answer my friend! I wonder what's coming next from the mouth of Trump?
      October 7, 2016 5:04 AM MDT

I think we can't underestimate genetics here.  There are many kids that grow up with tough circumstances and they turn out to be fine and decent human beings.  Then you have others that have had tons of love and support and they don't turn out so great.

Trump was undoubtedly born the way you see him today.
      October 7, 2016 10:15 AM MDT

So then do you think if he had never been sent away to military school he would be the same person PeaPod? Of course we can never know the answer to that for certain. From what I've read he did very well at military school. Are you planning to watch today's Debate? Thank you for your reply my friend! :)
      October 9, 2016 5:36 AM MDT

For all we know Rosie, he may have been a serial killer had he not gone to military school.  LOL.  

The problem with the psychology of people is that it is very complicated.  There are just too many factors that go into what we are as human beings.  Even professionals in the field will tell you that psychiatry is not an exact science.  

I wouldn't miss tonight's debate for anything in the world.  
      October 9, 2016 10:06 AM MDT

Sorry, but I have no time for the idea that children have special needs that others have to fit around. It is important that they learn to fit into the society around them and not conversely while standing up for themselves without running off to their parents or guardians. For any kind of professional success in the future they also need the self-discipline to keep unhelpful feelings firmly in their place. 
      October 6, 2016 12:18 PM MDT

Well, glad in your world that you don't see a need to help those with special needs.
      October 7, 2016 10:18 AM MDT

It depends on the reason.  My two cousins wanted  to go to military school and became honor students.  They went to a military high school academy.  They also are millionaires today.   No joke.
      October 6, 2016 10:27 AM MDT

Now you are asking?  I just read your declaration that military school is for problem kids.   http://www.answermug.com/forums/topic/11140/being-sent-to-miliitary-school-quot-to-be-straightenend-out-quo/view/post_id/83638. In fact, you asked why else would they be put into military schools.   Like so many subjects, this is something you aren't familiar with.  Military school is a tradition in many families.  Military school is often helpful for boys who are timid, small, and/or weak as well as for boys who are the opposites.  Boys with particularly strong wills OR who have trouble with public school for a number of reasons might be put into military school. And then there are boys who just want to to go.    I know lots of men who went to military schools.  They are all successful, strong, and disciplined.  My brother in law went to such a school; my MIL told me he had a very high IQ and just could not get along in public school atmosphere.  She said it was the best decision she ever made as a mother.  He now lives in a multi-million-dollar cottage on the outer banks.......very happy and successful. 

There are always some parents who "send" their kids to boarding school as much for themselves as for their children.  They are the minority.   In those cases the children may very well be better off. 

October 6, 2016 2:56 PM MDT

My mother and her twin sister were sent away to a boarding school.  My mother felt rejected and brought it up repeatedly even late in life.  My aunt loved the freedom which she abused and didn't feel rejected.
      October 6, 2016 6:49 PM MDT

My mother was the oldest of 13 kids and raised in total poverty.  At age 13, her parents sent her to go work as an Au Pair for a wealthy family in the next town over.  She suddenly had opportunities she never had before and was treated well.  But truth be told; she never forgave her parents for sending her away.  She met my dad and came to the states.  For the most part, she had no contact with her family.  The sense of rejection was something she spoke of, right up to her death.  She didn't even go to her parent's funerals (they died just months apart from each other).  
    Very sad she never got over it. This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at October 6, 2016 9:56 PM MDT
      October 6, 2016 9:54 PM MDT

So it depends entirely on the person. My younger sister is very gregarious and was always very popular. People just loved her. I was the shy one and really didn't have many friends.  There was one girl from grammar school who was my "best friend" until the 10th grade and then she dumped me for a faster crowd. You know the ones who smoked? In those days that was the fast crowd. So I learned to go it alone. I really understood why she did it. I wasn't  a "cool" kid and she had a crush on one of the "cool" guys. She ended up marrying him so it turned out fine for her. It hurt me at first but I did understand the why and I think when you understand why it is easier to take  hurts. Thank you for your reply CMI.    I would have felt rejected as your mom did though I don't know if I would keep bringing it up. I  mean what can you do about something after the fact? Your aunt sounds just like my sister. She moved out of the house when she was 17 and got an apartment with a friend and got a job! At 17! I left home at the age of 20 because I got married! But we're best friends now.
      October 7, 2016 5:10 AM MDT