Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Those of us few who are asking questions here...are we grasping for straws? What do we want?

Those of us few who are asking questions here...are we grasping for straws? What do we want?

Posted - July 12, 2020

Responses

To make a bale?
      July 12, 2020 9:57 PM MDT

A bale of hay?  Hey, wait . . .

July 12, 2020 10:11 PM MDT

I do it because what I want is to create a buffer zone on the home page wherein every single question is not yet another in the the incessant string of I-hate-Trump “questions” all day long that have now taken over this website‘s entire identity to outsiders, visitors, newcomers, curiosity-seekers, etc. 
      How about you?

:)

July 12, 2020 10:15 PM MDT

Where are they?
    Haven't seen many since Sharonna
    has been gone.
      July 13, 2020 7:26 AM MDT

Click onto the “Home Page” and they’ll blort out at you in vomit-like fashion. They don’t come from Sharonna, she has been gone for a while, but even on her best days, she alone did not corner that market.

:|

July 13, 2020 7:32 AM MDT

More than seven per day of questions that can actually be answered by those who are interested. Too many are indecipherable and many go unanswered because they make no sense. Silly questions are fine if they can be understood. This post was edited by Element 99 at July 13, 2020 11:56 PM MDT
      July 13, 2020 9:31 AM MDT

On the rare occasions that I've posted questions, I've hoped to attract lots of answers that trigger strings of interesting conversations.
    At best I've attracted a few short answers that have been difficult to take further.

I believe good conversation is like a friendly (non-competitive) game of tennis. Asking a question is like serving a ball. How each hits back determines whether a volley becomes possible. In the best volleys, every answer is interesting and both sides learn things; they get to know each other better.

That's possible in this medium, even if stretched out over time, but it rarely occurs.

I wonder whether any others here wish for the same...
      July 13, 2020 7:37 AM MDT

Admittedly, more than 75% of the questions that I personally post are on the silly, inane, superficial, dumb, sophomoric, immature, salacious, lower-common-denominator sides of the street, so I acknowledge that before giving my answer to your question.  AnswerMug serves my purposes to the degree that I’m not seeking in-depth interaction in the first place. I’m here primarily to pass time and I do so through joking around. The remaining 25% (or less fewer) of my questions do call for that deep thinking of which you mention, and I either shoot myself in the foot by being seen as the guy who’s always clowning around and therefore people are thrown off when I get serious, or the mental base doesn’t exist in the first place for that interchange of ideas and ideals.
      It’s almost like the chicken and the egg, which came first?  The members here who have a much different ratio of serious-to-silly than I do, such as 99%/1% respectively, may experience the same frustration you do, and I can truly commiserate. I possess the intelligence to engage on a higher level than I usually do, I merely choose not to.  Part of that is representative of my true personality and the way I carry myself offline as well: I’m just not serious all the time. Another aspect of why I personally do not engage more with the serious side is that I can only respond to those topics about which I have some knowledge, expertise, empathy and/or experiences. One other thing is that certain subjects turn into fights or arguments, not to say that I shy from either, because I do not, it just gets unnecessarily out of hand at times. Finally, the last reason is that the limitations of typing out each word can be tedious and time-consuming, especially when going into intricate detail about something. I most often use the smartphone when on this website (as I happen to be using at this moment), and it’s not really conducive to the diatribes I might offer if I choose a more adequate platform from which to communicate. Imagine that, streamlined technology that offers ease and speed is less appropriate for important exchange of ideas, lol.
      Now I’ll circle around to the first part of your comment, with an apology for not discussing it in that order. I agree with you wholeheartedly that it is galling to take the time to post something of intellect and value only to have it completely ignored by the masses. (Truth be told, the same gall exists when my silly ones go ignored, but I digress.). It’s difficult to be the only adult in a room full of pre-schoolers [ironically, that was said by the chief pre-schooler, I know, I know].  The volley and serve should be continuous to the point that both sides of the net are left sweating and a little sore afterwards, but happily so.  That’s what is supposed to happen figuratively when we exercise our minds, right?

~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 13, 2020 11:58 PM MDT
      July 13, 2020 8:46 AM MDT

Good response...I couldn't find any errors.
      July 13, 2020 9:38 AM MDT

Thanks! (WHEW!)

July 13, 2020 9:39 AM MDT

*Frown.

I just found one. I have edited it. 

July 13, 2020 10:18 AM MDT

Brief or long - you crack me up. I giggled most of the way through that.

That was quite a feat to type all that on your phone - an act of great generosity.
    (Thank heavens you're retired or the boss might have wondered what he was paying for.)

I work from a laptop - so my words come cheap.

I don't know where your philosophical edges begin and end, but I'll try a few old standards and see where it leads. :)
      July 14, 2020 12:02 AM MDT

My strong and deeply-rooted work ethic prevented me from logging onto the internet for any wasteful purpose such as that offered by Q&A websites; no one in management nor among my peers would have ever encountered me doing that.

July 14, 2020 12:31 AM MDT

I imagine respite from separation anxiety. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at July 15, 2020 2:45 PM MDT
      July 13, 2020 9:35 AM MDT

I’m starting to wonder that too lol. 
      July 13, 2020 8:57 PM MDT