Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "One man's meat is another man's poison". Hard to conceive of except well Vegetarian/Vegan and meat eater. Literally. Would vegans upchuck?

"One man's meat is another man's poison". Hard to conceive of except well Vegetarian/Vegan and meat eater. Literally. Would vegans upchuck?

True story. Once upon a time long ago my grandmother would not eat pork. My aunt cooked a porkloin or something and represented it as something else. A dirty trick as it turned out and one that she regretted too late.

My grandmother ate it and told my aunt it was delicious. When my aunt told her it was pork my grandmother got ill threw up and had a few days in bed trying to recover from it. She never forgave my aunt.

Now the meat wasn't poison but her mind reacted as if it were. Her mind took over and caused her body to suffer for it.

Posted - July 13, 2020

Responses

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, oats and rye. It gives bread its satisfying texture and is harmless to most people.
    Feed it to Maureen and it could very well kill her. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at July 13, 2020 6:35 AM MDT
      July 13, 2020 4:07 AM MDT

Good lord! How and when was that discovered? Geez. Well my son is anaphylactic. At 6 months I made some crushed walnut butterball cookies. I crushed one up and let him taste just a little tiny bit and left the room for a minute. I came back and he was rubbing his face and began to swell up. I'm not kidding. Within a few minutes he had HUGE WELTS covering his face and he was blowing up bigger. I panicked and called a neighbor. I had no car and we were so new to the area I had no doctor to go to. She dropped everything and took us to her pediatrician. He immediately asked how it happened and I told him. He gave my a son shot of ADRENALIN in an oil base..so it would course through his body slowly. The swelling went away and he was fine. But that is how I learned he is deathly allergic to walnuts and pecans. Tree nuts. The pediatrician said he would probably outgrow it but he never did. He is 54 and always carries an Epipen with him. Once he ate a salad they used WALNUT oil in as part of the dressing but it was not disclosed in the description on the menu and he had to go to the emergency room for the Adrenlin oil based shot. I doubt he will outgrow it at this age. So how did Maureen find out about the potentially DEADLY reaction to gluten? Was it when she very young? Thank you for your reply R! :)
      July 13, 2020 6:42 AM MDT

In her teens, and she would have to eat a lot of it. Hashimoto's. Her thyroid is underactive, gluten in quantity can shut it down completely.
      July 14, 2020 5:41 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply R. I've noticed that more stores seem to be enlarging their "gluten-free" areas so it must be a significant problem. I did not know it could end in death at its worst end. Does she take thyroid meds? :)
      July 14, 2020 5:50 AM MDT

She does - but an enlarged thyroid can choke her.
      July 14, 2020 9:26 PM MDT

Oh my goodness! Well bless her and keep her safe. Does Maureen do a lot of cooking at home so she can CONTROL positively what she eats? I mean people don't always know what they are selling. I remember years ago when my son was at  UC Berkeley for his undergraduate work I visited one particular time and went to the local bakery. Bought oatmeal cookies which the clerk assured me was nutless. I couldn't see any nuts at all and I asked for a sample and I didn't taste any. No crunch. So I thought they were safe. Oatmeal cookies with raisins. How could that possibly be dangerous? Guess what? Now I don't know for a FACT that ground walnuts were in them but something in them caused him trouble. Then the coupe de grace...He said "I can't even trust my own mother?" He said it kinda in jest but I felt horrible. Then there was the time I told you about when a salad he ate had walnut oil in it without anyone saying anything. So "out there" is filled with landmines. Anyway thank you for your reply R and Happy Wednesday. Wonder what today will bring? Any of our "favorite" things? :) This post was edited by RosieG at July 15, 2020 3:38 AM MDT
      July 15, 2020 3:36 AM MDT