Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Family » Who read books to you when you were a child? Which of the books they read was your favourite, and why?

Who read books to you when you were a child? Which of the books they read was your favourite, and why?

Posted - July 16, 2020

Responses

My mom
    "Good Morning Farm"
    Because of the pictures.
      July 16, 2020 4:09 PM MDT

Brightly coloured cartoons of farm life with a fun atmosphere.
    That must have been a real pleasure to share with your Mom.
    Did it lead you into a love of reading?
      July 19, 2020 4:01 AM MDT

Yes.
      July 19, 2020 2:29 PM MDT

WHat do your read these days?
      July 21, 2020 3:33 PM MDT

The bible mostly.
      July 21, 2020 4:52 PM MDT

My mom and dad never read to me as a child. That came during kindergarten. This post was edited by Zack at July 19, 2020 4:01 AM MDT
      July 16, 2020 4:14 PM MDT

Same here. 
    I fell in love with reading at primary school (K1) due to the help of the librarian. She was wonderful.

Even though Mum and Dad were both avid readers, they never read to me.
    If they were still alive I would ask why, but back then it never occured to me to ask.
      July 19, 2020 4:04 AM MDT

I don't remember. All I know is that when my mother sent me and a sister to live with an aunt in Florida, I discovered I could read...at four grade levels above the other first grade students. I have always assumed it was my oldest sister that taught me.
      July 16, 2020 5:26 PM MDT

You have always been "an Element" above the rest!!
    :) :)!!
      July 17, 2020 4:03 AM MDT

Memory is a fascinating thing.
    Mine tests at 80% accurate; for me that is poor to the point of scary.

There are ways of accessing old memories via the senses.
    Can you remember what your bedroom looked like when you were a boy? Can you remember the colour, texture, material or patterns on the walls? Pictures? Windows and the views outside them? Do you remember going to bed, what the routines were like?
    Where did your older sister sleep?
      July 19, 2020 4:09 AM MDT

From ages 7-18, I slept in 4 different houses. I can only remember the last one. I and my 2 brothers shared one bedroom and my three sisters shared another. I remember most of the house and yards. The last hose is a piece of crap in a rundown neighborhood.
      July 19, 2020 10:26 AM MDT

That's fascinating. What cause your parents to move around so much?
    Did that also mean many changes of schools?

I grew up in just one house, and Mum still owned it at the time of her death at 91.
    I wonder if my strong memories are, in part, made easier by the ability to connect to one well-known environment.
      July 19, 2020 10:44 AM MDT

When I was six or seven, my father left with another woman and abandoned us. A sister and I went to Florida for two years. Mom remarried and we got back together in a small town outside of Toledo, then a few months later moved again into Toledo.
      July 19, 2020 11:05 AM MDT

This might or might not be a phenomenon in Australia, or if it is it might not be to the same degree that it is in the United States, but other reasons for constant household moves is military families and migrant farm workers’ families.
      I did not experience either of those as I was growing up, but of course my wife and children did because I got married after four years in the military and remained in the service for almost another decade after that. There are some instances wherein the servicemember deploys or is transferred or is assigned temporary duty that takes him or her away from the family, and the family remains in a particular location/household until he/she returns. For instance, I went to Japan for a year and my family remained in the US; that was known as an unaccompanied tour of duty. Had it been an accompanied tour wherein the family also goes overseas, it’s for three years, with a possibility to extend just prior to the end of the three years. I knew some families that had not been in the US for up to a decade. Also, for a single person, an overseas tour was two or three years.
    ~

July 19, 2020 11:38 AM MDT

That’s far too long ago to remember any specifics, either those of which works were read to me or naming the reader(s).  I have no exact recollection of any such incidents, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t occur. 

However, my situation is a bit different than might be found with the average child. In both high school and college, my mother was an English major, and fancied or still fancies herself a writer of poetry, short stories, and other works. She taught me to read at such an early age, possibly as young as two, that I have barely any memory of never knowing how to read. Reading was so ingrained in me that I find it second nature. I was voracious at it, I have always loved reading, and as a young tyke, I read everything that I could get my hands on and everything that was appropriate for my level of understanding. Unfortunately, I can’t remember any particular books or stories that I read or were read to me. I’m sure that since I knew how to read, there is every possibility that she may have left me to my own reading. 

This is a great question, you’ve stirred memories in me that even though I’m foggy on intricate details, I love the look back. I will enjoy reading others’ answers to it.

~  

July 16, 2020 5:37 PM MDT

My aunt got me a set of science books when I was eight. It was the 'All About...' series. One of the best gifts I ever received and they set my life on its course to my future.
      July 16, 2020 5:43 PM MDT

July 16, 2020 5:48 PM MDT

Books are still "the gift" that keeps on giving.
    Good for your Aunt!!
      July 17, 2020 4:10 AM MDT

How exciting - all those wonderful things to dip into and discover! :)

I had a Black's Children's Encyclopeodia. It contained all sorts of wonderful things. I especially remember being mesmerized by the social lives of ants and bees - can still picture the diagrams and photos in my mind's eye.
    I think that feeding of a child's natural curiosity is one of the most wonderful things books can do.
      July 19, 2020 4:25 AM MDT

That is AWESOME!!
    You and I have yet another thing in common.
    For the longest time, I thought everyone came out of the womb knowing how to read and how to swim.
    I could never grasp the concept of adults not knowing how to read.  How did they get their driver's license?  How did they graduate high school?  How did they live their entire lives without reading anything??
    It still baffles me.
    As for the swimming part, well, I figured we all started out swimming inside our mothers.  How could any of us NOT know how to swim?
    Like you, I guess I was taught at such an early age, I don't remember not knowing how to do both.
    Silly but True!
    It's GREAT to SEE you!!

July 17, 2020 4:09 AM MDT

You must be my sister from another mister!  Welcome back, Sweetie!  We sure have missed you!
    ~
      July 17, 2020 7:21 AM MDT

Absolutely!  I have missed you something fierce!

... Just so you know, I DID think of you often and wanted desperately to read you and chat with you.
    Thank you, Randy D! 
    It was for precautionary reasons I wasn't around physically.  
    I am SUPER DOOPER GLAD to be back!!
      July 17, 2020 9:53 AM MDT

I had a recruit that couldn't read. I have no clue how he passed the entrance exams...somebody cheated.
    Nobody taught me how to ride a bicycle. My uncle gave me one...I jumped on and pedaled away. I guess if nobody tells you that you can't do something, you just do it. Welcome back, my little mage. This post was edited by Element 99 at July 17, 2020 11:18 AM MDT
      July 17, 2020 8:13 AM MDT

You always give me Happy Goosebumps!
    Thank you.
      July 17, 2020 9:42 AM MDT