Active Now

Spunky
smiler2012
Discussion » Questions » Language » What is the worst experience you’ve ever had in any way, shape or form concerning a foreign language? ~

What is the worst experience you’ve ever had in any way, shape or form concerning a foreign language? ~

Posted - July 21, 2020

Responses

I couldn't begin to choose one. 
      July 21, 2020 9:03 PM MDT

It’s happened to you a lot?
    ~

July 24, 2020 6:47 AM MDT

I've traveled a lot.  Yes, I've had many funny experiences due to language differences. 
      July 24, 2020 10:28 PM MDT

• My worst experience was speaking my own language in a foreign country.  It was when I visited the USA the first time.  While I was at one of my cousin's house, they had a bowl of corn chips on the table.  They asked me if I wanted salsa, so I asked them which kind.  They told me they only had one kind.  I knew I saw more than one kind in their refrigerator, so I told them that.  They looked at me like they didn't understand me, so I took the ranch dip.  I was confused, and my cousin Bobby, who I don't think liked me, laughed at me and said "That's the ranch dip, not the salsa!"  He then made a rude face, so his sister, with whom I was staying, slapped him.  When I hear salsa, it can be ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, cheese sauce, ranch dip, tartar, Hollandaise, Chimichurri, sweet and sour or anything else.  In USA, salsa can only mean Mexican tomato, chile and onion sauce.  I didn't know that.
      July 21, 2020 9:52 PM MDT

Eso cuenta.  (Or is it Esto cuenta?)

~

July 21, 2020 10:20 PM MDT