Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Name an invention that’s in use these days but you think it should be obsolete. ~

Name an invention that’s in use these days but you think it should be obsolete. ~

Posted - July 24, 2020

Responses

Cell Phone!  
      July 24, 2020 1:42 PM MDT

Darkly-tinted windows on vehicles.

Almost once a week, I am in various driving situations in which it would be helpful to actually see the other driver in another vehicle but it is impossible because the other vehicle's windows are so darkly tinted. I believe, in general, such windows should be illegal. There are times when we drivers need to actually see each other.

4 Major Benefits of Tinting Your Car's Windows - The News Wheel

July 24, 2020 6:53 PM MDT

Can openers. The ring pull cans are so much more convenient.
      July 25, 2020 8:10 AM MDT

There are many types of cans that don’t have the ring-pull tabs, such as food products. The can opener is still needed for those, right?
    ~

July 25, 2020 12:12 PM MDT

Many food products have THESE. And it should be all of them. That way you never risk being cut on a sharp edge.

July 25, 2020 9:51 PM MDT

I don’t disagree with you that many products already have that type of top. The fact that many others do not have them, the can opener is still needed for them, which indicates that if it were the be made obsolete while they still need it, that’s the point I rebutted.

July 25, 2020 10:06 PM MDT

Okay, rephrased - the object that should be obsolete is the kind of can that REQUIRES a can opener. Happy?
      July 25, 2020 10:08 PM MDT

Those kind of lids are on most of the cat food lids I buy for my cat. And I recycle the cans and lids. And I can't tell you how many times I've cut myself on such lids and cans while cleaning them. The ridges of the cans and the lids are incredibly sharp, regardless of how I opened them. :)

And all of that, I realize, is a different point than your point. My getting cut is all "after the fact" of opening. :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 26, 2020 6:26 PM MDT
      July 26, 2020 3:29 AM MDT

I rinse them - thorough cleaning is kinda pointless, they're going to melt them down anyway.
      July 26, 2020 4:30 PM MDT

Yeah, good point!
    :)

It's just that I collect them in a huge clear plastic bag until its full and city recycling then picks it up. It takes several months or more before the bag is full. I'm thinking I'd want the cans clean since they're sitting in my house that long.  :)
      July 26, 2020 6:25 PM MDT

Here there's a weekly pickup, a bin the same size as the regular garbage bin but differently coloured to make it easier for the collectors to identify which is which. A week in the carport doesn't make them too high.
      July 26, 2020 11:11 PM MDT