Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Do you prefer to buy organic foods?

Do you prefer to buy organic foods?

Or does it matter to you?

Sometimes I wonder on it, but I have watched some things about organically grown food. For me when it comes to produce if it has a skin you can’t eat, I usually might buy the non-organic, but with an edible skin I usually go for the organic. Your thoughts?

Posted - August 2, 2020

Responses

I often wonder if "organic" is just a label to justify a higher price.
      August 2, 2020 2:29 PM MDT

Me too, at times. I mean they look and taste the same. How do we really know? They can move a 'regular' tomato to the organic section very easily.
      August 2, 2020 2:31 PM MDT

Maybe it’s a higher price to justify the organic food label. Hey, wait . . .

~

August 2, 2020 3:04 PM MDT

I agree with those people who ask “what does organic food TRULY mean”?

Meh, in answer to your question, my preference is for the lowest price in conjunction with the quality of the produce, and that’s usually not the organic choice. “Non-organic” food hasn’t killed me yet, so . . .

~

August 2, 2020 3:09 PM MDT

I buy organic carrots with the green tops still on, (which use to just mean carrots before they started overusing pesticides, fertilisers and herbicides), they taste better than non organic.  Organic carrots have a nutty taste and they are more crunchy, where as non organic have a nasty sweet taste to them.  Radishes also taste different, organic is less sweet and again more crunchy, rather than watery. The only way you will know is to try.

August 2, 2020 3:15 PM MDT

Good points, I hadn’t considered them before. 

~

August 2, 2020 3:27 PM MDT

I usually buy organic except for celery.  Finding good organic celery is next to impossible. 
      August 2, 2020 3:31 PM MDT

Same Here.
    BUT...Just had a thought.
    The chemicals that are used
    in the growing,
    become on the inside of the plant
    or fruit. So there is no safety net.
    Best is Organic. This post was edited by Baba at August 2, 2020 5:10 PM MDT
      August 2, 2020 3:33 PM MDT

i buy what’s affordable or grow it myself. it’s not that hard to just wash my produce before I eat it 
      August 2, 2020 4:05 PM MDT

No!  The label "organic" doesn't mean much.  Just because something is labeled, "organic" doesn’t mean that no pesticides or herbicides were used.  It simply means that the ones applied met the government’s production standards for the term.   Then there’s possible blow-off from neighboring farms that don’t grow “organically”.  Moreover, I seriously doubt any produce that was shipped in from other counties is "organic", despite any claims. 

While products being “organic” may sound nice and desirable, it’s mostly just a marketing ploy.

August 2, 2020 4:42 PM MDT

All foods' solids are organic chemicals: Starches, fats, cellulose, amino acids etc; therefore, all food is organic. Even pesticides are organic compounds.
      August 2, 2020 5:15 PM MDT

No! I'm not that gullible.
      August 2, 2020 5:17 PM MDT

No, I don't specifically look for organic produce.  I will buy it if that's the only choice, but I'm skeptical of the "organic" label and it costs more.  At almost 75, having eaten non-organic food all my life, I'll take my chances.
      August 3, 2020 10:01 AM MDT

I agree with your reasoning. 

~

August 3, 2020 10:11 AM MDT