Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you ever gone into the restroom for the wrong gender by accident?

Have you ever gone into the restroom for the wrong gender by accident?

I have, it was at a fast food restaurant. I was kinda wondering why there wasn’t any urinals too, then when I walked out I realized I had over looked it and gone into the women’s restroom by accident. Luckily no one came in while I was in there. I believe it’s only happened to me the one time.

If so, did you feel embarrassed? Luckily no one witnessed it the time I did. It was slow and empty at the time.

Posted - August 2, 2020

Responses

Never at a restaurant but at a wedding reception. I was intoxicated enough at the time not to be embarrassed at all.    
      August 2, 2020 5:17 PM MDT

Wait, that was YOU?

August 2, 2020 6:15 PM MDT

Nope, in the state I was in that night,  I definitely wouldn’t have been able to climb. Who is she??? 
      August 2, 2020 7:04 PM MDT

I’m not telling.

~

August 2, 2020 9:10 PM MDT

August 2, 2020 9:14 PM MDT

Hey, you and I were broken up at that time, it doesn’t count!

~

August 2, 2020 9:17 PM MDT

How can anyone keep track of you twos' ongoing soap opera?
      August 2, 2020 9:24 PM MDT

Lol :) 
      August 2, 2020 10:03 PM MDT

Oh, OKAY ROSS 
      August 2, 2020 10:03 PM MDT

Yes...in a bar, but everyone knew I was drunk so they didn't care.
      August 2, 2020 5:23 PM MDT

Yes.  I saw urinals, turned, and exited.  I went into the mens bathroom in a convenience store one night when I was traveling.  There was a line at the ladies and the other one was empty.  I went right in.  Another woman stopped after that while I was pumping my gasoline and said the mens was much cleaner than the womens.  I just smiled as I really didn't want to know how she knew.
      August 2, 2020 7:17 PM MDT

Well this gave me a small smile and laugh.
      August 2, 2020 7:20 PM MDT

• Briefly, in elementary school. It was embarrassing. -_- 
      August 2, 2020 8:55 PM MDT

Yikes! I can only imagine.
      August 2, 2020 9:02 PM MDT

Oh, I make that mistake all of the time.
      August 2, 2020 8:56 PM MDT

No. I've only done it intentionally in places like McDonald's with single-person bathrooms.
      August 2, 2020 9:22 PM MDT

Not that they like it. Though I suppose that's probably fine, just as long you as you put the seat back down for the ladies. :)
      August 2, 2020 9:28 PM MDT

• I have not, but when I was a small kid, my father took me into the men's restroom if my mother wasn't with us.  He did that until I learned how to use the restroom by myself.  My mother did the same with my brother when he was small if my father wasn't with us.
      August 3, 2020 12:08 AM MDT

Yes, on numerous occasions.  Some are more memorable than others.

One stumbling night, I was in a bar and I didn't understand why they had this HUGE, trough-like contraption for guys to wash their hands.
    I walked right past it, thinking we didn't have those in our bathrooms.  That's weird. I had black high heels on at the time and the floor was crooked cobblestone.  I'm tripping already trying to get into one of the two stalls.

While trying to master balancing heels on cobblestone with my mini skirt above my bottom, I attempt to straddle the commode.  

The live band was blaring when two or three others walked in.  I could hear they were very closer  A lot closer than the band.  I didn't pay attention to them.  I was focused on keeping my balance and straddling. 
    Feeling very proud of myself for not falling on my face, I pulled down my skirt and stumbled out of the stall.
    There were 3 guys standing at the trough.  I could see there was running water out of the center of the trough and these guys were standing around it.
    I figured it was like "gossiping around the water cooler," at the office.  Only a "new guy thing."
    You know how gals go to the bathroom in groups, put on makeup and gather around the mirrors?
    Well, I figured this was "a guy thing."
    I walked over and stuck my hands in the running water.  I looked for towels to dry my hands but didn't see a dispenser.  Put on some lipstick in the ONE mirror, smiled, and wagged out.  Nothing ODD seemed to click at that moment.

It wasn't until later that night that a friend of mine went to the bathroom with me.  She took an entirely different route and into an entirely different room! 
    This one had many mirrors, many stalls, sinks and towel dispensers. WOW!  Did it look different than the last bathroom I was in!!

Those guys were NOT gathering around the trough to gossip but rather were relieving themselves.  Why didn't I glance around to see what they were holding?  Did I really rinse my hands in their urinal? Why was it shaped like a big trough?  And did I really add insult to myself by fixing my hair, putting on lipstick, and flashing them a smile with a wagging walk out the door????

YES!  I Did!!

:):)!!

This post was edited by Merlin at August 4, 2020 4:49 PM MDT
      August 3, 2020 7:03 PM MDT

Haha, I guess this is a real thing that happened to you. Though it sounds like you must have known it was the men's restroom before going in, as the first thing you mention is you didn't understand they had a trough for guys to wash their hands in, and that you didn't have them in yours. I guess the women's line was too long?

Yes, I know of the long trough urinals. Some of our parks, stadium and our county fair restrooms have them, among other areas. They are mostly found where there are large crowds, so us men can crowd in to pee and get out quickly.

I understand you must have found it almost unbelievable once you actually figured it out at the end. I'm sure they had regular sinks in there, but you just didn't think of or notice them, paying most attention to the trough. This post was edited by Nightwolf5 at August 5, 2020 11:32 PM MDT
      August 4, 2020 5:02 PM MDT

I am cracking up!  It is a funny memory that I haven't visited in a LONG, LONG time until you asked.  Thanks!

It was a blundering, stumbling, drunken night BUT not so drunk I didn't remember.  
    :)  I'm not even sure if these bars are around anymore but this happened at "The Dark Horse."  It was a trendy bar to go to for a while way back in the 80s and 90s.  The one I went to on that infamous night was in Boulder, Colorado.  I know there were a few more around the country.
    The odd thing about The Dark Horse Bars, was that the signs above the restrooms were confusing.
    If you were still sober enough to notice, it said "women" on a Big, Huge, Hand pointing to the opposite bathroom. The same about the real women's bathroom.  It said "men," on a Big, Huge, Hand pointing to the bathroom I went into.
    The cobblestone floors didn't help any, either!
    did notice the trough thing but didn't realize really what was going on until it was too late.
    To try and save face, I pretended I didn't know I was in the wrong bathroom.  I'm not sure any if the guys bought it.  Once I was out of the bathroom, I made a point of keeping my eye out for the few I saw in the bathroom and stayed as far away from them as possible.
    It was very embarrassing.  I'm Sure I wasn't the first and definitely not the last.  I wish my friends would have warned me.
    ;) :)!! This post was edited by Merlin at August 6, 2020 12:09 AM MDT
      August 5, 2020 11:46 PM MDT

This is very funny, but yeah awkward to have happen.

Never heard of The Dark Horse. And was trying to visualize these restroom doors and arrow hands you mention. I was curious, so I looked it up. Not sure about all locations, but yes the one you mention in Boulder, Colorado is still there. It has a website for it. And found what you are talking about, someone posted a picture of the doors on their Yelp page. I guarantee you are not the only one that's made that mistake, walking into the wrong restroom. I don't think many would think the trough is a sink, but I don't blame you. It doesn't surprise me, and possible some other women have thought it a sink too, if they went in. I'm confused just looking at the picture, but would most likely go into the one that said men on the door myself. If I wasn't sober it might of course not bother me, but I wouldn't want to be standing there at the trough and have a lady walk in on me.

This post was edited by Nightwolf5 at August 6, 2020 1:33 AM MDT
      August 6, 2020 1:25 AM MDT

Yes walked in at a gas station. Saw the urinal and walked straight out. I do not know of anyone noticed or not. 

I have used the Mens on purpose because the Womens was unavailable at the time. I had my husband make sure no one went in until I came out. This post was edited by my2cents at August 4, 2020 4:21 PM MDT
      August 3, 2020 7:24 PM MDT