Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » If you had to portray a dead body for the filming of a movie or tv show, how good do you think you’d be at holding your breath, being still?

If you had to portray a dead body for the filming of a movie or tv show, how good do you think you’d be at holding your breath, being still?

This question was inspired because I’m watching a crime re-enactment show, and the murder “victim” did a great job remaining perfectly still, her chest did not move up and down to betray her live state, good job. However, her eyelashes kept fluttering (ever so slightly), and her and her eyelids twitched at least once or twice.
  I’ve often wondered why producers and directors don’t opt for a still shot of the supposed “deceased” so as not to worry about requiring a live human to pass himself or herself off as a dead one.

~

Posted - August 14, 2020

Responses

If you notice, they only keep the camera on dead bodies for a few seconds. I would do OK, since I am like that most of the time anyway.
    I saw a stupid shark movie the other day...they stayed up all night filming it...where I saw a dead body take a breath.
      August 14, 2020 4:52 AM MDT

• I'm not so sure I could pull it off.  I've read about how actors have to really train themselves for those dead body scenes. Putting themselves into pretty much a meditative state.  Avoiding caffeine and other stimulants when they know they have to film such a scene. I think I'd be a bit too tense to do it for any longer than a couple seconds. 
      August 14, 2020 6:07 AM MDT

Then the lady I saw last night must have had some coffee or other “stimulants” just prior to filming. 

~

August 14, 2020 7:02 AM MDT

• This was probably her backstage enjoying a few lines before filming.

August 14, 2020 7:04 AM MDT

“Just a little something to tide me over until the next scene is shot.”
    ~

August 14, 2020 7:10 AM MDT

I used to freak people out playing "murder winks" as a teen - I'd fall off my chair and keep my eyes open. For several minutes without blinking.
      August 14, 2020 6:15 AM MDT

I had to quickly answer here -- because your question and description reminded me of something I read about director Alfred Hitchcock's wife --

PLOT SPOILER!! "PSYCHO"!!"

after Hitchcock's wife watched a "daily" (is that what they're called?) of Leigh on the bathroom floor in the shower scene -- Hitchcock's wife spotted Leigh slightly blinking her eyes and they had to film it again.
      September 8, 2020 8:32 PM MDT