Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Language » "Clean as a whstle", "Clear as a bell". Do you know any other oft-used phrases that make no sense?

"Clean as a whstle", "Clear as a bell". Do you know any other oft-used phrases that make no sense?

Posted - August 15, 2020

Responses

Hubba hubba 

The bee’s knees

Here’s mud in your eye

The hair of the dog that bit you

You’re all wet

~

August 17, 2020 5:25 PM MDT

We are where we are. Well, naturally we are... stating the obvious doesn't help the situation though!

As daft as a brush.  Its meaning is clear enough, given that a brush is inanimate, but why a brush, particularly?

Raining cats and dogs. Eh?

Raining stair-rods. As a visual metaphor, it's a bit more sensible than the animal one! 

No better / brighter than he/she should be. The desired standard implied by this Midlands - Northern, English colloquial criticism of someone's behaviour or sense, is never given, but we may assume it is at least that of the critic! 

Wandering around like a wooden man made of smoke. I.e., aimlessly and rather helplessly. My Grand-dad was fond of using that, but I have no idea if he had invented it or if it was a common saying in his part of the world. He had quite a lexicon of equally strange sayings. 

Ah'm fair ter middlin'. I have heard this Northern English reply to being asked how one is, a few times; but whilst that's not necessarily a health enquiry I am not sure if "fair to middling" means no worse than "A bit under the weather" or as bad as "Practically at death's door"!

A  bit under the weather. Obviously means fair to middling, at worst.....

Right as rain. Well, yes, there are times and situations when rain is very right! Just ask my runner-beans....

Three sheets to the wind. Pickled, sloshed, blotto.... It might refer to the drunkard's stumbling, veering gait but whilst I know the nautical meanings of "sheets" and "close to the wind", the saying itself does not look as if once a genuine technical term. Two that are, are "knowing the ropes" (orig. understanding a sailing ship's complicated rigging) or "pipe down" (now a reprimand meaning "be quiet", but originally a bo's'un's pipe signal for the men working aloft to finish and come back down). 

To Hell in a hand-cart. The future in question may look bleak if not apocalyptic... but alliteration apart, why a hand-cart?

August 31, 2020 5:11 PM MDT