Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Has anything unusual that happened in your neighborhood recently really upset you?

Has anything unusual that happened in your neighborhood recently really upset you?

Posted - August 21, 2020

Responses

Mask mandate kind of made me mad. 
      August 21, 2020 6:03 PM MDT

I can sympathise missus. The way things are going in some places it is probably a good thing - not a 100% solution, but better than a poke in the eye with a burn stick.
      August 21, 2020 8:18 PM MDT

Kind  of - the cougars have already migrated down from the mountain which is unusual  because they normally don't do that untill late October. It upsets me a little because it probally means there is not enough wild game up in the mountains so they will be hungry and the new neighbours poodals probally look like a fancy  treat. Cheers and happy weekend!
      August 21, 2020 6:23 PM MDT

Yikes.
      August 21, 2020 7:09 PM MDT

That's so sad, all the way around. Will ultimately be the cougars that lose. :(
      August 21, 2020 8:31 PM MDT

Ya I think we're past the sad and into the crying shame. I work in a golfing community there are hundreds of deer in a small area and people  treat them like pets. But if a couger shows up the people  freak out and have the cougers taking away sometimes to areas were there is not enough food for them. Also because the deer in that area have it so good they stay in that area - deer are supposed to traval around so they can mingle with other herds but because the deer in that area don't do that there is no genetic diversity so we are stating to see deer with genetic defects like deformed  antlers. Were losing lots of species of animals here because of land development. Cheers and happy weekend!
      August 21, 2020 9:42 PM MDT

Humans really screw things up for wildlife, no doubt about it. 

Happy weekend to you, too! 
      August 22, 2020 7:27 AM MDT

There was a sweet fox who hung around my place and my neighbor's.  He has disappeared, I miss seeing him. 
      August 21, 2020 6:29 PM MDT

just this...

Error 522 Ray ID: 5c68a9206feb9bb5 • 2020-08-22 01:01:06 UTC

Connection timed out

You

Browser

Working

San Jose

Cloudflare

Working

answermug.com

Host

Error

What happened?

The initial connection between Cloudflare's network and the origin web server timed out. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.

What can I do?

If you're a visitor of this website:

Please try again in a few minutes.

If you're the owner of this website:

Contact your hosting provider letting them know your web server is not completing requests. An Error 522 means that the request was able to connect to your web server, but that the request didn't finish. The most likely cause is that something on your server is hogging resources. Additional troubleshooting information here.

Cloudflare Ray ID: 5c68a9206feb9bb5Your IP: 104.59.125.119Performance & security by Cloudflare

August 21, 2020 7:08 PM MDT

"Recently"? No: it's an ongoing problem that crops up every few weeks or every few months.
      "Upsets me"?  No: it's more annoying than upsetting.

Abandoned cars.  There are cars that have been abandoned in driveways, on the street, in alleyways, all over the place.  In addition to being an eye-sore, they also take up valuable parking spaces that could be better used by cars that are in good running condition.  Pre-COVID19, the problem was bad enough because the county (which has jurisdiction over the public streets here) didn't address it actively.  Instead of enforcing parking ordinances themselves, they required a citizen's report by phone or by internet, and sometime over the next thirty days they might send a code enforcement officer to place a citation on the windshield.  The citations warn that the registered owner would be fined if the vehicle isn't moved within the next seventy-two hours (three days).  Well, most citations went ignored, and sometimes within those seventy-two hours, the car would be moved ten to fifteen feet, starting the process all over again.  Other times, the citations would be removed, but the cars just sat there.

Once COVID19 began, many county departments downstaffed by sending people to work at home or cut the hours of those employees who remained, or reassigned their duties.  The code enforcement office became the mask-wearing enforcement office and the fine-business-owners-for-trying-to-make-a-living office.  Abandoned cars became a non-essential, low-priority issue.

We have a homeowners' association here where I live, there are 92 houses in the development, my house was built in 1974 during the second of four phases of construction, we bought the house about 20 years ago.  When we moved in, the monthly dues for the homeowners' association were about $150, they slowly creep up every so often and are now over $260 a month.  One of the rules is that abandoned vehicles on a homeowner's private property cannot be visible from the street, such as in the driveway, they are supposed to be behind closed garage doors.  So the county is supposed to take care of the problem on the public streets in front of houses and on side roads, alleys, common areas, etc.  The  homeowners' association "fines" anyone who has an abandoned vehicle visible on his/her property, but that's obviously ineffective or not done, because there are more than a dozen homes where it has been continuously violated for weeks or months (this is not new, it's been going on since I first moved in).  At the monthly meetings, I used to bring it up, the lip-service answer I got was that many homes are owned by people who live elsewhere, such as a few miles away, states away, some in foreign countries, and they rent out their homes to tenants.  Being absentee owners, they cannot be expected to compel their renters to follow CC&Rs that they (the renters) did not sign and have no legal responsibility to follow.  The association has no legally binding jurisdiction over renters.

I have a philosophy as to how slums and ghettos are created; it starts with litter that never gets picked up, step two is the accumulation of several abandoned cars piling up for weeks on end, then it's graffiti on public property, when it's not addressed it then begins covering private property, the next step is burglaries and break-ins, and the last step is violent crime on residents, visitors, workers, etc.  Ignoring the smaller problems sends a message to the world: we don't care about this place, so you don't have to either, and that's how the problems increase, expand, and overcome.  Opportunists look for opportunities just like these that I've delineated here.  My intent when I bought this property was not to live in a slum or a ghetto, and I can't stand it that people around me seem comfortable with letting it happen.

~
      August 21, 2020 7:11 PM MDT

Some sort of vehicle racing has apparently just resumed at a track not far from my neighborhood. Noise and air pollution that I'm not pleased about at all. 

:(
      August 22, 2020 10:07 AM MDT

August 22, 2020 1:32 PM MDT

My immediate neighborhood is peaceful and almost crime-free. However in other areas of the city, the shootings and murders (Five in five days.) have increased greatly from last year.
      August 22, 2020 2:06 PM MDT

August 22, 2020 3:21 PM MDT