Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Legal » What is the appropriate period of time for law enforcement officers to wear bereavement bands on their badges after an on-duty death?

What is the appropriate period of time for law enforcement officers to wear bereavement bands on their badges after an on-duty death?

~

Posted - October 9, 2016

Responses

I've never heard anyone say but it would seem 30 days max.
      October 10, 2016 3:07 AM MDT

Thank you. That seems like an extremely long period of time, but it's possible that you're absolutely correct. ~
      October 10, 2016 7:32 AM MDT

Hello Randy:

The ONE thing all those badges have in common is that the badge number is HIDDEN..  They're NOT mourning cops..  They're HIDING from the public.

excon
      October 10, 2016 7:46 AM MDT

Hello, Slippery Slope

With the vast number of agencies and the equally vast variety of badge designs, there are many that feature the badge number either above or below the section covered by the band. Nice try, but no cigar.  Rant averted.
    ~
      October 10, 2016 7:50 AM MDT

Hello again, Randy:

Show me.  Rant in abeyance. 

excon
      October 10, 2016 8:03 AM MDT

You show me that they're covered.
    __
      October 10, 2016 8:38 AM MDT

Hello again, Randy:

So, that's where we are???  You SAY the vast majority of badges DON'T cover the number, so I ask you to show me.  Instead, you want me to show you that the vast number ARE covered????  Dude!  That's NUTS..  Stick with grammar.  It doesn't involve logic..

excon
      October 10, 2016 8:54 AM MDT

In addition to having a written policy regarding when a mourning band should be worn, it is also important that each agency has a policy regarding how it should be worn. Some important points of such a policy are:

1. For round, square and “shield” type badges, the mourning band should be horizontal on the badge and centered half way between the top and bottom.
    2. For star shaped badges, the mourning band should be diagonal, going from right to left, with the high point on the right.
    3. Never allow a mourning band to cover a badge number.
    http://policelink.monster.com/training/articles/2574-developing-a-mourning-band-protocol
      October 10, 2016 10:45 AM MDT

Hello again, my:

Oh, my gosh..  You mean it's against the rules to cover up the number???  Well, then..  

How many badges in the OP have their numbers exposed???  Look..  There are rules about shooting unarmed black people too.. 

So?

excon
      October 10, 2016 10:55 AM MDT

Ex, please peruse the graphic that I included with my question when I originally posted it. There are at least half of the badges that display the badge number. 

Secondly, stick to blind dislike (or abject hatred, if that's more accurate) of law enforcement and its personnel. Your original answer was steeped in that dislike or hatred, as opposed to logic. 

~
      October 15, 2016 4:11 PM MDT

Only if they liked the guy.  One day.   Back to work.  It's part of the job.
      October 10, 2016 7:49 AM MDT

:|
      October 10, 2016 7:50 AM MDT

• As long as one chooses.
      October 10, 2016 9:39 AM MDT

Black mourning bands shall be worn on a law enforcement badge only in the following circumstances:

1. Upon the line of duty death of an active law enforcement officer (LEO) in your department. The mourning band should be worn for a period of thirty days from the date of death.
    2. By all LEO in uniform or in civilian clothing while displaying a badge when attending the funeral of an active LEO. Upon the completion of the funeral, the mourning band shall be removed.
    3. Upon the line of duty death of a LEO from a neighboring jurisdiction. The mourning band will be worn from the date of death and removed at the conclusion of the day of burial.
    4. National Peace Officers Memorial Day (May 15th).
    5. The day of any memorial service your agency has honoring your department's LEO's who have died in the line of duty.
    6. At the direction of your sheriff, agency director or chief of police, when special circumstances dictate that a department display of official mourning is appropriate.
      October 10, 2016 10:35 AM MDT

Thank you. 

(However, the second sentence of the circumstances seems to contradict the first sentence.)

~
      October 15, 2016 4:15 PM MDT